Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
He opened the car door while the car was still running and jumped out.

He opened the car door while the car was still going and jumped out.

He opened the car door while the car was still moving and jumped out.

Edit: I just learned about Ngram a few moments ago. Apparently, all have been used. But, anyone who has an opinion on which word is more contextually appropriate can still reply.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd say 'He opened the car door while it was still moving and jumped out'.

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines

I was going for it, but thought somebody might point out that there was no reference to the car in the sentence making it refer to the car door, so I didn't.

J

J&K Tutoring

A car (specifically its engine) may be running but not moving. If the car is running, it's perfectly safe to open the door and get out.

There's a dumb joke about calling someone up, asking them if their refrigerator is running, and then telling them to run and catch it.

A person who knows nothing about cars might say to their mechanic, "My car won't go," in which case he would need to ask, "Do you mean it won't move or do you mean the engine won't run?"

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
There's a dumb joke about calling someone up, asking them if their refrigerator is running, and then telling them to run and catch it.

A person who knows nothing about cars might say to their mechanic, "My car won't go," in which case he would need to ask, "Do you mean it won't move or do you mean the engine won't run?"

If the engine does run, wouldn't I have to run and catch it? Let's just make it start. :)

Last edited:
J

J&K Tutoring

If the engine does run, wouldn't I have to run and catch it? Let's just make it start.

Assuming you're not merely being facetious, no. The engine could be running with the transmission in neutral. Parts inside the engine are moving, but the engine does not move until the whole car moves.

Also, a problem with a car engine may be that it will start, but not run. There are specific systems that help start a car engine (for example by providing extra fuel), and there are other systems that are supposed to keep it running economically and cleanly.

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Assuming you're not merely being facetious, no.

I was just trying to be funny. I'd like to know if it wasn't. As much as I've learned the language, I'm still envious of people who can banter all day long.

J

J&K Tutoring

I thought so, but on a site like this, one shouldn't assume such a good understanding of English as to be making (or continuing, as you did) a joke.

It's also possible that another member, less advanced than you, might have been confused, so I wanted to clarify further.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A car can be running without moving. It just means that the engine is running - that is, working.

So jumping from a running car isn't a very impressive feat.

I would use "moving."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Although the car is presumably moving whenever its door is moving, it would be better to express the thought as "He opened the door while the car​ was still moving and jumped out."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_door

Probably a good place to introduce this particular term.

I've been thinking of those ill-conceived contrivances while reading this thread. I've also been remembering the time a certain aged relative ran herself over with her own car (suffering only bruises). She was maneuvering it in her big driveway, and got out to move something. She left the car in reverse and the door open as she stepped out. :-(

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Although the car is presumably moving whenever its door is moving, it would be better to express the thought as "He opened the door while the car​ was still moving and jumped out."

Does that mean it's okay to refer to the car door as just the door, as long as it is clear we are talking about the car door? Like while inside the car, I could say "Please open the door for me. I can't open it from here because it's child-locked."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, that's fine.

Status