Is the word "stool" an informal word or a formal word?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KUROMY

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
United States
Is the word "stool" an informal word or a formal word?
I think it is a kind of formal word, especially a medical word.
It is used in several academic papers and articles, and also doctors like using this word when they want to talk about status of patients' excrements.
However my English teacher(not native speaker) said that the word stool is an informal word, like poo and I should use "feces or excrement" as formal language.
So I told him that I think it looks like a formal word than informal word because basically it is a specialized word.
Then he said that "Native speakers" use the word stool in informal conversation as using phasal verbs like"have a stool", "after stool", or "go to stool".
I have never heard of those kind of expressions before.
Is he correct?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
No, he is not correct. We don't use these expressions "have a stool", "after stool", or "go to stool".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Then he said that "Native speakers" use the word stool in informal conversation as using phasal verbs like"have a stool", "after stool", or "go to stool".

I agree with Bhaisahab, and, furthermore, I have only heard people use the term stool when talking to a doctor. Faeces and excrement are used in some formal contexts, but that does not make stool colloquial.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
I've only ever heard "stool" in a medical context, such as a "stool sample". I've never heard anyone use it in a slang or informal sense.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your teacher may have misunderstood the common expressions after school and go to school.

Also be aware that another word, also spelled stool and pronounced the same, is pretty common. It means a piece of furniture for sitting on, without armrests or a back.

Status
Not open for further replies.