Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I don't care very much for the Chinese language and I don't think I'm ever going to try to learn it... It's too different for me. I like my languages Indo-European. I do admire people who are passionate about languages outside the family but that's just not my thing.

I made it sound as if I were some kind of polyglot. I'm not. I speak only two languages fluently, Polish and English. Hindi sounds interesting. How's it going for your mother?

GreyMan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't care very much for the Chinese language and I don't think I'm ever going to try to learn it... It's too different for me. I like my languages Indo-European. I do admire people who are passionate about languages outside the family but that's just not my thing.

I made it sound as if I were some kind of polyglot. I'm not. I speak only two languages fluently, Polish and English. Hindi sounds interesting. How's it going for your mother?

Thanks for asking. My mother's taking a break these days. But she's doing quite well really. She can read it and understands quite a bit when watching Indian films. She just needs to keep going.

Whether Polish or English is your first language, it's quite an achievement. Maybe it's because I read a lot. But I notice that a lot of natural English speakers speak poorly.

I'm with you on Oriental languages. Though to my ear Thai is worse than Chinese, which is a shame considering their fascinating culture.
Given the opportunity, I'd love to try Navajo and Quichua. They sound lovely and the cultures are amazing. But sticking to Europe, I'd go with Italian and Romanian.

ashy0107

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I worked hours continuously to form my complete list of English irregular verbs. I hope my list would be useful to community. My list contains complete 638 irregular verbs which can be accessed here.
http://pasttenses.com/irregular-verbs-list

ashy0107

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

azuka

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Regarding the word 'hew' I'd like to say that this is a very obscure verb in spoken English. You most frequently encounter this word in literature, where it is not so uncommon.

In my 62 years as an English speaking native of the US, I don't think I have ever heard a person verbally use 'hew,' 'hewed,' or 'hewn.' I believe that 'hewed' is the past tense of the verb, and 'hewn' would be used as an adjective, such as 'The table was made from wood hewn from a single tree.'

I am NOT a teacher.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Quite a few of the verbs are very obscure and are in there to make the list as full as possible. I made the list with help from a couple of contributors and there are a number of verbs that I have never used. I have, however, used hew.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can send private messages after you have posted ten times- it is a measure against spam.

Some verbs don't have an -ing form. For example, we don't say [strike]I am believing[/strike] because what we believe is generally a state and not a temporary thing.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Warrior4Jesus: Your username is a violation of our rules. You must immediately change it to something politically and religiously neutral. Failure to comply immediately will result in banishment.

Last edited: