Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
"This is how you peel a banana. You pinch the top and peel the skin down, one at a time until it is completely peeled. Don't peel all the way down. You want the lower part of the banana to be left unpeeled. That's where you want to hold the banana so that you don't have to touch the banana itself. No, don't touch the banana. Just hold it right here on its skin. Be careful not to eat the skin. Once there's no more to eat, you have to peel it some more."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You forgot to write your question, but I assume you'd like comments on the instructions.

A banana is the whole thing, fruit and skin. Warn the reader not to touch the fruit, not the banana which they're holding.

They have to peel the skin one section at a time.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

I agree with GoesStation. I would add that the inside of a fruit is often referred to as the flesh. So you could say, "Hold the banana by the part you have left unpeeled. Don't touch the flesh (inside)", or something similar.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Unless it is purely an exercise in description, I cannot think of an instance where one needs to give directions on how to peel a banana. The "top of the banana" is called the stalk I think, unless it has been cut off.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I read a tip only recently that I wish I'd known about 70 years ago:

it's easier to peel a banana by pinching the skin at the end opposite the stalk.

Perhaps that's what Marcus meant.

curiousmarcus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I read a tip only recently that I wish I'd known about 70 years ago:

it's easier to peel a banana by pinching the skin at the end opposite the stalk.

Perhaps that's what Marcus meant.

I've heard that. But it's only easier if, when picking the banana, the skin is not cut right at the point where the fruit is. The thing that makes peeling from the top difficult is when there is still a little shaft protruding from beyond where the fruit is.

Usually when we pick bananas, the skin connected to the stalk is already torn to the point that the top portion of the fruit can already be seen.

Most of our bananas here are relatively easily to peel.

800px-YosriPisangKelatKeling.jpg

Attachments

• 800px-YosriPisangKelatKeling.jpg
    800px-YosriPisangKelatKeling.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.