Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
United States
This idiom sounds really weird to me, I didn't understand in which situations there's a sense to use it and how it is using.

Any help?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I googled your thread title and found this page for you (click on the underlined link).

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I looked at the first result of the search you linked to and I don't agree with it. It mentions aerial navigation, but I think the phrase originated in what pilots call stick-and-rudder skills.

When you turn an airplane in flight, you have to coordinate two main controls: the ailerons, which make one wing drop and the other rise; and the rudder, which makes the plane rotate on its horizontal axis. If you don't coordinate them correctly, you feel your bottom -- the "seat of your pants" -- pull to one side.

An instrument called the "turn coordinator" displays this for the pilot. If the turn coordinator fails, you have to fly by the seat of your pants: by feeling in your rear end when you need more or less rudder.

By extension, any time you rely on more fundamental skills to get through a challenging situation, you can say you're flying by the seat of your pants.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Pilots who flew without navigators or navigation gear flew by the seats of their pants. Today, it has a more general meaning of trusting your instincts and experience - not metrics or measuring tools - to make decisions.

It's also called "winging it."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
While the term originated in aviation, I think it's related to piloting skills that are more fundamental than navigation. You have to be able to keep the airplane in the air and maintain a heading before you can think about how to get where you're going.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with what you said in post 3 from a language point of view. On the flying side, you did not mention the forward/back movement of the joystick, controlling the elevators that make the noseof the aircraft rise or fall. This is part of the 'seat of the pants' feeling.

True. I was thinking mostly about keeping turns coordinated, where the seat of your pants can substitute for the turn coordinator. Uncoordinated turns can be dangerous, potentially leading to a spin. I thought bringing the elevator into my explanation would make it unhelpfully overcomplicated -- and I don't remember my flight instructor ever mentioning paying attention to my perceived weight as a seat-of-the-pants way to gauge my elevator input. :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This is a thread that has taught me where an idiom comes from- I had no idea.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
This is a thread that has taught me where an idiom comes from- I had no idea.

You had no idea you could learn something in the Forum? :shock: :lol:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
WonderMary, please familiarize yourself with the "Thank" and "Like" buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.