Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • United States

0.2l 0.33l 0.5l 0.8l 1l beer - how to pronounce?

I'm feeling really stupid to ask such things, but yesterday my friend and I were sitting at the pub, were speaking English and were wondering how to say something like that "I drank a 0.33l beer yesterday". I thought, that we could say "I drank 2 beers yesterday" but it's not very accurate and don't specify how much beer you exactly have drank

We has a similar discussion about beer with my another friend, but there was discussion about beer measures in German. Luckily, that one German-speaking colleague helped us that time. Hope, English natives know better such things

So any help is appreciated.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: 0.2l 0.33l 0.5l 0.8l 1l beer - how to pronounce?

We don't normally specify the precise volume in centilitres. In England, we think in pints. When we are on the continent we tend to thinkof a large beer (0.5 or 0,4l) as 'a pint' and a small beer (0,33 or 0.25) as 'half a pint'. So:

I only had half a pint yesterday.
    I went for a quick drink after work. I only had a half, as I was driving.
    I had a couple of pints at the Slug and Lettuce last night.
    I don't feel very bright this morning. I must have had seven pints last night.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

WonderMary, please don't use smileys to replace standard punctuation marks. Thank you.

I don't think you'll hear much talk about centilitres in American bars, either. North Americans in general are not fond of the metric system.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Nowadays, we use capital L for litres. You say them either as "zero point two litres, zero point three three litres, zero point five litres..." or ".... zero point thirty-three litres"...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    WonderMary, please don't use smileys to replace standard punctuation marks. Thank you.

I don't think you'll hear much talk about centilitres in American bars, either. North Americans in general are not fond of the metric system.

Canadians and Mexicans are..... :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by WonderMary View Post
    "I drank a 0.33l beer yesterday"
    I'd say a third of a litre for that. However, like Piscean, I'd be more likely to convert it very roughly into pints or halves.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by WonderMary View Post
    I'm feeling really stupid to ask such things, but yesterday my friend and I were sitting at the pub. We were speaking English and were wondering how to say something like: "I drank a 0.33l beer yesterday". I thought [no comma] that we could say "I drank 2 beers yesterday", but it's not very accurate and doesn't specify exactly how much beer you drank.

We has a similar discussion about beer with my another friend, but that was discussion about beer measures in German. Luckily, that one German-speaking colleague helped us that time. I hope English natives know such things better.

So any help is appreciated.
    Speaking strictly as an American, I find the whole conversation totally incomprehensible. How can your friend know that it was .331 beer? And why would anyone care? We might say "I drank half a beer" or "I drank less than one beer" or maybe - maybe - "I drank a third of a beer." But "0.331 beer"? What could possibly be a less natural barroom remark?

So the answer, I guess, is that it would sound crazy to us. We save that kind of precision for truly technical discussions. (Which we also enjoy!) It's just not ordinary conversation. Ever!
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

0.33 liters is one of the sizes bottled beer comes in in Europe. It's a little less than 12 US fluid ounces. I imagine there's a common term for that size bottle in countries where they're normal.

When I'm in France, I get a kick out of ordering a 250 ml carafe of wine because it's called a quart in French, meaning a quarter of a liter. Imagine ordering a quart of wine in an American café!
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Here in the Czech Republic, draught beer is normally served in 0.5-litre glasses, though in some of the more expensive establishments it may be 0.4 litres. If we ask simply for a beer, we will get the measure they serve. Just to be sure, we sometimes specify 'a beer - large'.

The smaller measure comes in 0.25- or 0.33-litre glasses. On the rare occasion we want a small glass, we simply ask for 'a beer - small'

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Here in Laos, beer mostly comes in a third of a litre (barely adequate) bottles and two-thirds (that's more like it).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast