0.2l 0.33l 0.5l 0.8l 1l beer - how to pronounce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WonderMary

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
United States
I'm feeling really stupid to ask such things, but yesterday my friend and I were sitting at the pub, were speaking English and were wondering how to say something like that "I drank a 0.33l beer yesterday". I thought, that we could say "I drank 2 beers yesterday" but it's not very accurate and don't specify how much beer you exactly have drank ;-)

We has a similar discussion about beer with my another friend, but there was discussion about beer measures in German. Luckily, that one German-speaking colleague helped us that time. Hope, English natives know better such things :)

So any help is appreciated.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
WonderMary, please don't use smileys to replace standard punctuation marks. Thank you.:)

I don't think you'll hear much talk about centilitres in American bars, either. North Americans in general are not fond of the metric system.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Nowadays, we use capital L for litres. You say them either as "zero point two litres, zero point three three litres, zero point five litres..." or ".... zero point thirty-three litres"...

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
WonderMary, please don't use smileys to replace standard punctuation marks. Thank you.:)

I don't think you'll hear much talk about centilitres in American bars, either. North Americans in general are not fond of the metric system.

Canadians and Mexicans are..... :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"I drank a 0.33l beer yesterday"

I'd say a third of a litre for that. However, like Piscean, I'd be more likely to convert it very roughly into pints or halves.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm feeling really stupid to ask such things, but yesterday my friend and I were sitting at the pub. We were speaking English and were wondering how to say something like: "I drank a 0.33l beer yesterday". I thought [no comma] that we could say "I drank 2 beers yesterday", but it's not very accurate and doesn't specify exactly how much beer you drank.

We has a similar discussion about beer with my another friend, but that was discussion about beer measures in German. Luckily, that one German-speaking colleague helped us that time. I hope English natives know such things better.

So any help is appreciated.

Speaking strictly as an American, I find the whole conversation totally incomprehensible. How can your friend know that it was .331 beer? And why would anyone care? We might say "I drank half a beer" or "I drank less than one beer" or maybe - maybe - "I drank a third of a beer." But "0.331 beer"? What could possibly be a less natural barroom remark?

So the answer, I guess, is that it would sound crazy to us. We save that kind of precision for truly technical discussions. (Which we also enjoy!) It's just not ordinary conversation. Ever!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
0.33 liters is one of the sizes bottled beer comes in in Europe. It's a little less than 12 US fluid ounces. I imagine there's a common term for that size bottle in countries where they're normal.

When I'm in France, I get a kick out of ordering a 250 ml carafe of wine because it's called a quart in French, meaning a quarter of a liter. Imagine ordering a quart of wine in an American café!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Here in Laos, beer mostly comes in a third of a litre (barely adequate) bottles and two-thirds (that's more like it). :cheers:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
0.33 liters is one of the sizes bottled beer comes in in Europe. It's a little less than 12 US fluid ounces. I imagine there's a common term for that size bottle in countries where they're normal. . . .

No doubt!

I know what a liter is. And I know that .33 (or, more precisely, .333) of anything is about a third, which at least makes sense, although we'd say "a third of a liter" rather than ".33 beer," which would sound like near-beer, which is a type of beer, not a quantity. (I'm explaining that for non-Americans reading this. I know you already know that.)

But the post says "0.331" twice. The idea of measuring the beer you drink to the milliliter just struck me as Lance Armstrong-ridiculous.

So - I guess there are bottles or cans that hold slightly less than a third of a liter, like those mini-cans that were popular here in the '70s. In a big brewery, shaving .002 liters off every beer must add up to some major cost cutting.

Now I know!

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That was a lowercase L. 0.33 l.

In any event, yes it is not required to be that precise when talking about beer.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The biggest beer glasses in the US are pints - about half a liter. The biggest bottles are called growlers, which are half a gallon or so - about two liters. Next down is a forty-ounce bottle, called a forty - about a liter and a half. Then come quarts - about a liter - which are just called quarts. Then come sixteen-ounce cans - about half a liter called pounders or tall-boys. Most beer bottles are twelve ounces - about a third of a liter, like the .33 liter bottles used elsewhere.

You now know everything you need to know to buy a beer in the U.S. Come on over!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
After all that beer, it's no wonder we're all drifting. ;-)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Quite. To continue the gentle float down this beer stream, let me just add that the biggest beer glasses in American bars are Imperial pints of twenty US fluid ounces, 25% bigger than the puny US pints we use for everything else.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Many of the chain restaurants use a 22 US oz. glass as the "big beer."

There is one in particular that features attractive young ladies as waitresses that calls theirs the "man size" and the "little girl size."

I don't imagine many of the clientele goes for the little girl size.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oh. Yeah. THAT question. In the US:

- If it's a third-of-a-liter bottle we would say something like, "I drank a beer," "I had a beer," or "I drank a bottle of beer."

- If we're emphasizing how many beers you drank, we'd say "I drank one beer."

- If it's a half-liter can, we'd say, "I drank a tall-boy" or "I drank a pounder."

- If it's a half-liter glass at a bar or beer pub, we'd say, "I drank a pint" or "I drank a pint of beer."

- If it's a liter bottle, we'd say, "I drank a quart of beer."

- If it's a one-and-a-half liter bottle, we'd say, "I drank a forty."

- If it's a two-liter bottle, we'd say, "I drank a growler" (if we're in shape to say anything).

- If we drank it slowly to make it last, we'd say we nursed it.

- If we drank it all at once, we'd say we chugged it.

Now excuse me while I go track down one of those imperial pints! . . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.