• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

The latest car of BMW which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs...

The latest car of BMW which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs at least fifty thousand dollars. (from my teacher's handout)
    Is this sentence correct? Is "the latest car of BMW" correct?
    I think it should be:
    The latest BMW which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs at least fifty thousand dollars.
    Am I right? Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: The latest car of BMW which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs...

"The latest car of BMW" is incorrect. It could say "The latest BMW ...", "The latest BMW model ..." or "The latest car/model from BMW ..." (there are other possibilities).

Note that there should be commas around "which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets". Without them, we are reading about "The latest BMW which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets" to differentiate it from "Older BMWs which are [also] equipped with many high-tech gadgets". I'm fairly certain that's not the intended meaning. I assume they mean "The latest BMW costs at least $50,000 and is equipped with many high-tech gadgets".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: The latest car of BMW which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs...

Since BMW makes a variety of vehicles, I'd write The latest BMW car.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Since BMW makes a variety of cars, I'd write, The latest BMW 3 series (320i (Sedan)) etc.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Quote Originally Posted by z7655431 View Post
    The latest BMW which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs at least fifty thousand dollars.
    I would use commas:

The latest BMW, which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets, costs at least fifty thousand dollars.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

"The latest BMW *which/that* is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs at least fifty thousand dollars."
    If there're no commas before "which" and after "gadgets", should I change "which" to "that"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by z7655431 View Post
    "The latest BMW *which/that* is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs at least fifty thousand dollars."
    If there're no commas before "which" and after "gadgets", should I change "which" to "that"?
    You'd have The latest BMW that is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs at least fifty thousand dollars. This means that we're talking about a number of BMWs equipped with high-tech gadgets, the latest of which costs at least $50,000. It would be a rather unnatural sentence.

Here's a similar sentence which is natural: The latest four-door BMW costs at least $50,000.
    I am not a teacher.