The latest car of BMW which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The latest car of BMW which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs at least fifty thousand dollars. (from my teacher's handout)
Is this sentence correct? Is "the latest car of BMW" correct?
I think it should be:
The latest BMW which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs at least fifty thousand dollars.
Am I right? Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"The latest car of BMW" is incorrect. It could say "The latest BMW ...", "The latest BMW model ..." or "The latest car/model from BMW ..." (there are other possibilities).

Note that there should be commas around "which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets". Without them, we are reading about "The latest BMW which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets" to differentiate it from "Older BMWs which are [also] equipped with many high-tech gadgets". I'm fairly certain that's not the intended meaning. I assume they mean "The latest BMW costs at least $50,000 and is equipped with many high-tech gadgets".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Since BMW makes a variety of vehicles, I'd write The latest BMW car.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Since BMW makes a variety of cars, I'd write, The latest BMW 3 series (320i (Sedan)) etc.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The latest BMW which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs at least fifty thousand dollars.

I would use commas:

The latest BMW, which is equipped with many high-tech gadgets, costs at least fifty thousand dollars.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
"The latest BMW *which/that* is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs at least fifty thousand dollars."
If there're no commas before "which" and after "gadgets", should I change "which" to "that"?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"The latest BMW *which/that* is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs at least fifty thousand dollars."
If there're no commas before "which" and after "gadgets", should I change "which" to "that"?

You'd have The latest BMW that is equipped with many high-tech gadgets costs at least fifty thousand dollars. This means that we're talking about a number of BMWs equipped with high-tech gadgets, the latest of which costs at least $50,000. It would be a rather unnatural sentence.

Here's a similar sentence which is natural: The latest four-door BMW costs at least $50,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.