All the books which he collected for his whole life were burned to ashed by a fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
All the books which he collected for his whole life were burned to ashes by a fire. (from my teacher's handout)
Is this sentence correct? First, I think "for his whole life is" wrong, and it should be "IN his whole life". Second, "by a fire" should be "IN a fire". Am I right? Thanks!

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. For his whole life is correct. However, the tense is wrong; the first verb should be in the past perfect.

2. Either in or by works. But it should be ashes, and the sentence could end there. What, other than a fire, could burn the book collection to ashes?

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. For his whole life is correct. However, the tense is wrong; the first verb should be in the past perfect.

2. Either in or by works. But it should be ashes, and the sentence could end there. What, other than a fire, could burn the book collection to ashes?

So, the correct sentence is: All the books which he had collected for his whole life were burned to ashes in/by a fire. Right?
But, can I say "in his whole life" instead?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You could. I'd say "over his entire life".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd say "All the books he had collected during his life/lifetime ..."

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. For his whole life is correct.

1. Do you really say "for his whole life" in English? Can I say "IN his whole life"?
2. "were burned to ashes in/by a fire" Between "in" and "by", which do you prefer?
3. "All the books *which/that* he had collected for his whole life were burned to ashes in/by a fire."
I find that which seems to be incorrect here; the correct word should be that or just to omit it. Am I right?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"All the books he had collected during his life/lifetime were destroyed in a fire."

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Do you really say "for his whole life" in English? Can I say "IN his whole life"?

I like "in" better, but I'm not going to say "for" is wrong. It's certainly understandable, anyway.

2. "were burned to ashes in/by a fire" Between "in" and "by", which do you prefer?

In.

3. "All the books *which/that* he had collected for his whole life were burned to ashes in/by a fire."
I find that which seems to be incorrect here; the correct word should be that or just to omit it. Am I right?

In American English, it would be "that."

Just what you needed: more opinions.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France

I agree with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.