• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

"Slow Life".

As the number of the elderly increases, I think that the future society will aim at "Slow Life". I expect that various types of welfare programs will be provided for the elderly who are sicker and weaker than young people.
    It would be based on “Slow Life”. Unlike the current society that develops faster and competitively, “Slow Life” would be a social environment where people are grateful for and try to keep what they own at the moment. “Slow Life” will seek "more slow" and coexistence between young people and old people.

1. Is it possible to say just "slow" for this?
    I think that the future society will aim at "Slow Life".
    I think that the future society will aim at "Slow".

Last edited by keannu; 19-May-2016 at 14:39.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Re: "Slow Life".

I seem to have heard "slow" only to mean "slow life", but it's confusing.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    As the number of [Delete "the."] elderly increases, I think that [Delete "the."] future society will aim at a "slow life."

I expect that various types of welfare programs will be provided for the elderly, who tend to be sicker and weaker than most young people.
    It would be based on the slow life.

Unlike the current society, which is faster and more competitive, slow life would mean a social environment where people are grateful for and try to keep what they own at the moment. The slow life seeks more slowness [That's redundant. Change it.] and coexistence [Can you find a better word than "coexistence"?] between young people and old people.

1. Is it possible to say just "slow" for this? [It depends on the sentence.]
    I think that [Delete "the."] future society will aim at the slow life.
    I think that [Delete "the."] future society will aim at "Slow". [No.]

Hi, Keannu! Where did you get this?
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 19-May-2016 at 15:19.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

It's the work of someone related to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I Googled slow life. It's not capitalized.

Put quotes around it only the first time you use it. That will show that you're using a special meaning. After that, don't use quotes. I'm making those changes above.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

1. Why do I have to delete "the" from "the future society"? Doesn't "the" make generalization?
    "Future society", which is a countable noun without an article, would sound unnatural.
    2. Maybe "harmony" is better than "coexistence".

As the number of
    [Delete "the."] elderly increases, I think that [Delete "the."] future society will aim at a "slow life."
    Unlike the current society, which is faster and more competitive, slow life would mean a social environment where people are grateful for and try to keep what they own at the moment. The slow life seeks more slowness[That's redundant. Change it.] and coexistence [Can you find a better word than "coexistence"?] between young people and old people.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    1. Why do I have to delete "the" from "the future society"? Doesn't "the" make generalization? It's not natural. If you remove the adjective, it becomes "the society," which is one specific society, and you mean ALL society. We might say "THE society of THE future," because that explains WHICH society (and there's only one future).

"Future society", which is a countable noun without an article, would sound unnatural. It sounds natural to me. But if you're not happy with it, how about "the society of the future"?

2. Maybe "harmony" is better than "coexistence". Yes, much better!

As the number of [Delete "the."] elderly increases, I think that [Delete "the."] future society will aim at a "slow life."
    Unlike the current society, which is faster and more competitive, slow life would mean a social environment where people are grateful for and try to keep what they own at the moment. The slow life seeks more slowness[That's redundant. Change it.] and coexistence [Can you find a better word than "coexistence"?] between young people and old people.

That makes sense, right?