Student or Learner
Native Language
Tigrinya
Home Country
Eritrea
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

I have been studying in English for the past 5 years. I have learned to write at a basic level, but found it very challenging to master it (At least to achieve advanced level writing). I have tried to write on a regular basis and give it to a teacher to correct the grammar and structure. It helped a bit but I still find myself struggling to express myself in English. If anyone know any working method/ learning strategy that helps to improve writing/ expression I am more than happy to hear.

Thank you for your help.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Read good books, and notice the phrasing. Try to work out why each word is placed where it is, and how the grammar works.
This is what I do when looking at a new language. It's best if you know the story, so you concentrate on the structure. When I don't know a noun or verb, I often don't bother looking it up, as long as I can identify its place in the sentence - as long as I can parse it. That's one exercise you could try.

boehm

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher. More information would be helpful. Are you having problems with verbs and direct objects? My advice is to invest in a really good grammar book. I would read A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnandrew

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
UK
Not an English teacher, but you should try quiz tests, participate with English bloggers and as well start your own blog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.