Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
How do u say that a girl is fat in an uninsulting way?
Which makes an inoffensive and understated expression? Are these all ok ay or offensive? Maybe it depends on the degree of obesity, but I mean a girl who is overweight and moon-faced.

plump, chubby, big

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How do you say that a girl is fat in a non-insulting way? [In conversation, you don't.]
Which is an inoffensive and understated expression? Are these all okay or offensive? Maybe it depends on the degree of obesity, but I mean a girl who is overweight, [No.] moon-faced, [No.] plump, [No.] chubby, [No.] or big. [No.]

To her face? You don't.

For writing a description in prose? I've seen zaftig, Reubenesque, full-figured, ample, and big-boned. They all have slightly different uses.

PS - Keannu, you already know that you is spelled Y-O-U!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Even as a language exercise, why on earth would you want to insult and offend someone on the basis of their weight? At least in the interests of equality, I trust you're planning to insult some obese men too.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the term 'plus sized' is currently in vogue, particularly in the fashion industry, for both men and women.

'Big-boned' is an old euphemism for overweight, as are 'big' and 'heavy'. They're all about as benign as the subject can be.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Someone asked me for euphemism for those words and I couldn't answer it. She tried to use more decent words to describe her best friend and I felt it a pity I couldn’t help her. Emsr got me wrong.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
One thing that often works as a euphemism here is to use the comparative 'bigger.' This implies that we are mentally dividing people into two camps, the average sized and those who are, well, bigger than they are. This seems to help make the overweight person seem less of an extreme phenomenon and more of a slight difference. However, euphemisms quickly turn ironic, which is why we keep inventing new words for children who learn slowly -- the old words become insulting quite rapidly (a few decades). I've heard big-boned, as Skrej points out, and even 'built close to the ground.'

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Obese", as ems uses it, is a good word. It's correct as a definition; it's medically correct. And in the event that you actually need to communicate that a woman is obese, it's generally non-judgemental (since it can be backed up by quoting her Body Mass Index).
The Anglosphere has become very reluctant to describe any attributes of people which may be viewed as negative.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Obese", as ems uses it, is a good word. It's correct as a definition; it's medically correct. And in the event that you actually need to communicate that a woman is obese, it's generally non-judgemental (since it can be backed up by quoting her Body Mass Index).
The Anglosphere has become very reluctant to describe any attributes of people which may be viewed as negative.

Good points, as long as we remember that (a) overweight isn't necessarily obese and (b) we don't know which Keannu means.

Status
Not open for further replies.