Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
China
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Zzqe6Cj6zG

I've got an MP3 uploaded of myself reading a monologue. People have told me all sorts of things regarding my accent, from British, to Australian, to Chinese.
I would usually describe my accent as a neutral international accent that can be easily understood by everyone.

Last edited:

MBTAA

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
China
Welcome to the forum, MBTAA.

I'm afraid I won't be listening to your voice. I am not prepared to download/instal devices. Can you provide your clip in a more accessible way.

Changed the link so you can play it in your browser

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I agree. It sounds very British to me. There's no way that's Australian - even though your profile says your native country is Australia.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I agree with Piscean and Raymott. Your accent is very good, and very British, but not entirely convincing.

I say this because 99% of it is fine and then there are some inconsistencies.

The word 'ladies' (especially at 1:34) has a gutteral sound to it. 'Only', 'crook', 'was' and 'again' are all slightly off, and what was that word at 1:43 supposed to be?

It reminds me of some WW2 stories when suspected spies were asked to pronounce certain words that were expected to give away the infiltrator.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Zzqe6Cj6zG

I've got an MP3 uploaded of myself reading a monologue. People have told me all sorts of things regarding my accent, from British, to Australian, to Chinese.
I would usually describe my accent as a neutral international accent that can be easily understood by everyone.

Your accent sounds more like a variety of working class British. There are a few words that are Australian-inflected, but not many. You don't sound Chinese - and you do NOT sound like New Yorker Leo Bloom! (Nothing wrong with that.)

You English is very intelligible and should serve you well wherever you go. I wouldn't call it a neutral international accent, though. I don't think there's any such thing. (Now I should go get an umbrella, before the spitballs start to fly!)

MBTAA

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
China
Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That did not sound working class to me, a native speaker of BrE. . . .

You're the expert! The unscripted recording sounded different and closer to what I think of as standard British. Glad you chimed in.

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
You're right, it does feel like quibbling but that's only because in most respects the pronunciation is very good.

I had a few points to make and decided against it for that very reason. The only one that struck me as inconsistent with the rest was 'simultaneous'.

Status
Not open for further replies.