• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure how to express my thoughts about lunch.

Suppose that your parents want to prepare some food for you enough for some time. The reason for them to do this is not important to discuss in this thread.
    This is what I am trying to say.

(1a) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for your next three days' lunch.
    (1b) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for your lunch for the next three days.

(2a) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for most of your next week's lunch.
    (2b) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for your lunch for most of next week.

I am not sure how to express my thoughts correctly. Could someone please explain how to express these ideas clearly if the given sentences are grammatically wrong?

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: I am not sure how to express my thoughts about lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by brianbrian View Post
    Suppose that your parents want to prepare some food for you enough for a few days. The reason for them to do this is not important to discuss in this thread.

(1a) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for your next three days' lunches.
    (1b) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for your lunch for the next three days.

(2a) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for most of [Delete "your."] next week's lunches.
    (2b) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for your lunch for most of next week.

I am not sure how to express my thoughts correctly. Could someone please explain how to express these ideas clearly if the given sentences are grammatically wrong?

Thanks.
    With a very minor few changes just to make them a little more natural-sounding, I think your sentences are fine.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brianbrian View Post
    Suppose that your parents want to prepare some food for you enough for some time. The reason for them to do this is not important to discuss in this thread.

(1a) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for your next three days' lunch.

(2a) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for most of your next week's lunch.

Thanks.
    Hi brianbrian,

I have a different opinion about your post. The words highlighted in red in your opening sentence are perfectly fine. It is OK that you give unspecified duration since the amount of food prepared for you may last from a few days to few weeks. In (2a), you do need "your". Without it, your statement may convey the fact that spaghetti will be cooked for your cousin(s), brother(s) or friend(s).

Not a teacher
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 22-May-2016 at 09:03. Reason: Adding 'Not a teacher'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, ahelpinghand.

Please read this extract from the Forum Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice provide the kind of information an international language teacher would offer. If not, and your posts do not contribute to the topic in a positive way, they will be deleted.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Although still I don't think spaghetti will keep "for some time," which means "for a long time," I just noticed that a bigger problem with that first sentence is punctuation. It should read:

Suppose that your parents want to prepare some food for you, enough for some time.

Hello, Ahelpinghand! Welcome!
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.