[Grammar] I am not sure how to express my thoughts about lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbrian

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
Canada
Suppose that your parents want to prepare some food for you enough for some time. The reason for them to do this is not important to discuss in this thread.
This is what I am trying to say.

(1a) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for your next three days' lunch.
(1b) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for your lunch for the next three days.

(2a) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for most of your next week's lunch.
(2b) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for your lunch for most of next week.

I am not sure how to express my thoughts correctly. Could someone please explain how to express these ideas clearly if the given sentences are grammatically wrong?

Thanks.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Suppose that your parents want to prepare some food for you enough for a few days. The reason for them to do this is not important to discuss in this thread.

(1a) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for your next three days' lunches.
(1b) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for your lunch for the next three days.

(2a) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for most of [Delete "your."] next week's lunches.
(2b) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for your lunch for most of next week.

I am not sure how to express my thoughts correctly. Could someone please explain how to express these ideas clearly if the given sentences are grammatically wrong?

Thanks.

With a very minor few changes just to make them a little more natural-sounding, I think your sentences are fine.

ahelpinghand

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Suppose that your parents want to prepare some food for you enough for some time. The reason for them to do this is not important to discuss in this thread.

(1a) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for your next three days' lunch.

(2a) Your parents are going to cook enough spaghetti for most of your next week's lunch.

Thanks.

Hi brianbrian,

I have a different opinion about your post. The words highlighted in red in your opening sentence are perfectly fine. It is OK that you give unspecified duration since the amount of food prepared for you may last from a few days to few weeks. In (2a), you do need "your". Without it, your statement may convey the fact that spaghetti will be cooked for your cousin(s), brother(s) or friend(s).

Not a teacher

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, ahelpinghand.

Please read this extract from the Forum Guidelines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly in your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts, so make sure your suggestions, help, and advice provide the kind of information an international language teacher would offer. If not, and your posts do not contribute to the topic in a positive way, they will be deleted.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Although still I don't think spaghetti will keep "for some time," which means "for a long time," I just noticed that a bigger problem with that first sentence is punctuation. It should read:

Suppose that your parents want to prepare some food for you, enough for some time.

Hello, Ahelpinghand! Welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.