• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Colombia

intermediate business

I am a new ESL teacher here in bogota teaching intermediate english. I am not sure where to begin. By boss who gives me these assignments handed me a book to teach out of. But the students seem to know a lot of this material
    Its mostly one on one so the classroom dynamic is out the window. any suggestions. To me getting into the knitty gritty of verbs is a good place to go but i can be pretty dull
    varrick

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: intermediate business

Quote Originally Posted by varrick View Post
    I am a new ESL teacher here in Bogota, teaching intermediate English. I am not sure where to begin. My boss, who gives me these assignments, handed me a book to teach from out of. but the students seem to know a lot of this the material already.

It's mostly one-on-one so the idea of a classroom dynamic is has gone out the window. Do you have any suggestions? To me, getting into the knitty nitty-gritty of verbs is a good place to go but it can be pretty dull.

varrick Unnecessary. We can see your username.
    Welcome to the forum.

Please note my corrections to your post, marked above. Your member profile shows that English is your native language and that you are currently an English teacher. As such, you need to be aware that the learners on this forum will assume that everything you write is correct. Please ensure that your posts are correctly worded, structured, punctuated and capitalised before actually posting.

My first suggestion is that you tell your boss that the book he has given you is inappropriate for the classes you are teaching and that you would like to create your own lesson plans for your one-on-one lessons.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 20-May-2016 at 07:34.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Bogot. But I agree the OP needs to work on his English before burdening himself with Spanish.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by varrick View Post
    I am a new ESL teacher here in bogota teaching intermediate english. I am not sure where to begin. By boss who gives me these assignments handed me a book to teach out of. But the students seem to know a lot of this material
    Its mostly one on one so the classroom dynamic is out the window. any suggestions. To me getting into the knitty gritty of verbs is a good place to go but i can be pretty dull
    varrick
    Hello Varrick,
    Regarding teaching business English material at an intermediate level, have you tried Market Leader books or EnglishKey? When I used to lecture in-company, I used the Market Leader series especially for intermediate and upper-intermediate. That could be a good fit for you. If you are teaching online/blended learning or on Skype, you could try EnglishKey. They have Pre-intermediate, Intermediate and Upper Intermediate. You can access their material on http://www.englishkey.com/register.php?type=teacher
    Please let me know if you have any questions. I hope this helps!
    Happy Teaching!