Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Colombia
I am a new ESL teacher here in bogota teaching intermediate english. I am not sure where to begin. By boss who gives me these assignments handed me a book to teach out of. But the students seem to know a lot of this material
Its mostly one on one so the classroom dynamic is out the window. any suggestions. To me getting into the knitty gritty of verbs is a good place to go but i can be pretty dull
varrick

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am a new ESL teacher here in Bogota, teaching intermediate English. I am not sure where to begin. My boss, who gives me these assignments, handed me a book to teach from [strike]out of.[/strike] but the students seem to know a lot of [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] the material already.

It's mostly one-on-one so the idea of a classroom dynamic [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] has gone out the window. Do you have any suggestions? To me, getting into the [STRIKE]knitty[/STRIKE] nitty-gritty of verbs is a good place to go but it can be pretty dull.

[STRIKE]varrick[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. We can see your username.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my corrections to your post, marked above. Your member profile shows that English is your native language and that you are currently an English teacher. As such, you need to be aware that the learners on this forum will assume that everything you write is correct. Please ensure that your posts are correctly worded, structured, punctuated and capitalised before actually posting.

My first suggestion is that you tell your boss that the book he has given you is inappropriate for the classes you are teaching and that you would like to create your own lesson plans for your one-on-one lessons.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Bogotá. But I agree the OP needs to work on his English before burdening himself with Spanish.

Philipchesney

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
I am a new ESL teacher here in bogota teaching intermediate english. I am not sure where to begin. By boss who gives me these assignments handed me a book to teach out of. But the students seem to know a lot of this material
Its mostly one on one so the classroom dynamic is out the window. any suggestions. To me getting into the knitty gritty of verbs is a good place to go but i can be pretty dull
varrick

Hello Varrick,
Regarding teaching business English material at an intermediate level, have you tried Market Leader books or EnglishKey? When I used to lecture in-company, I used the Market Leader series especially for intermediate and upper-intermediate. That could be a good fit for you. If you are teaching online/blended learning or on Skype, you could try EnglishKey. They have Pre-intermediate, Intermediate and Upper Intermediate. You can access their material on http://www.englishkey.com/register.php?type=teacher
Please let me know if you have any questions. I hope this helps!
Happy Teaching!

Status
Not open for further replies.