[Grammar] I need help to convert a sentence in passive voice to active voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hereforhelp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello, everyone.

Non-native English speaker here.

I've searched all over the internet. Although I can perfectly understand the difference between active and passive voice, I'm not able to convert this sentence from passive to active voice without breaking its meaning.

“A web server is an advanced computer which is connected to the internet 24*7”.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's already active voice.

Subject / verb / object > server / is / computer.

There's nothing to untangle.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, hereforhelp.

Who told you this was a passive sentence and why do you need to change its mood?

Note that 24/7 is not written with an asterisk.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you are going to convert it, you have a problem with creating a subject and get something like that you connect to the internet 24/7, which isn't natural and certainly doesn't improve anything. However, like Piscean, I see that more as adjectival than a true passive. Some guides and grammar checks recommend getting rid of all passives- this isn't very good advice. I would leave your sentence at it stands.

hereforhelp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I don't think this is the passive version of an active construction. 'Connected' seems to me to be adjectival.

It's already active voice.

Subject / verb / object > server / is / computer.

There's nothing to untangle.

Welcome to the forum, hereforhelp.

Who told you this was a passive sentence and why do you need to change its mood?

Note that 24/7 is not written with an asterisk.

If you are going to convert it, you have a problem with creating a subject and get something like that you connect to the internet 24/7, which isn't natural and certainly doesn't improve anything. However, like Piscean, I see that more as adjectival than a true passive. Some guides and grammar checks recommend getting rid of all passives- this isn't very good advice. I would leave your sentence at it stands.

Thanks a lot for your replies, guys.

I had a little feeling that this was active all along. But I use Grammarly to check for grammatical errors. You know, just to be sure. Grammarly said this sentence was in passive voice. I just wanted to be sure. That's why I posted this thread.

Thanks a lot again.

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hello, everyone.

Non-native English speaker here.

I've searched all over the internet. Although I can perfectly understand the difference between active and passive voice, I'm not able to convert this sentence from passive to active voice without breaking its meaning.

“A web server is an advanced computer which is connected to the internet 24*7”.

I don't think it's passive, but if it was, it would only be the subordinate relative which- clause that was passive, not the sentence as a whole. I don't see "connected" acting as a verb here but as an adjective (though it is formed from the past participle of the verb "connect"). That means the relative clause is active, not passive, a complex-intransitive clause in which the adjective phrase "connected to the computer 24/7" is predicative complement of "advanced computer". Since it's not a true passive clause, there is of course no active counterpart.

You can often test for adjectivehood by replacing "be" with "remain" and if the result is grammatical, the word is probably an adjective. In this case the test yields the grammatically acceptable: "... which remains connected to the Internet 24/7".

Incidentally, even if the clause was passive, it would be what's known as a 'short' passive, i.e. one without an agent (there's no by-phrase), so it would still have no active counterpart.

Status
Not open for further replies.