[Grammar] Is "Thank you" an Imperative Verb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jholo

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the spirit of "giddyup" (i.e., "get ye up [and going]") is "thank you" in the imperative voice, as in "be recognized" or "be thought of [thunk or thank]"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. It's a shortened form of "I thank you".

I can't see the connection between "thank you", "giddyup", "be recognised" and "be thought of".

Do you realise that "thank" has nothing to do with the word "think"? And "thunk" is not an English word.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It would be an imperative if you were telling someone to thank another person- Anne, thank your brother.

kilroy65

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Who would've thunk it? ;-)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher.

Well, it is really hard to imagine an imperative in the phrase "Thank you". [STRIKE])[/STRIKE]
The/an imperative is used to give a direct order, to give instructions or to give [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] friendly informal advice [STRIKE]ect[/STRIKE] etc.
Using common sense, it just cannot be an imperative!

Anna, welcome to the forum. :hi:

You will notice that I have added "Not a teacher" to your post. Also, please note the corrections I have made above. Your profile shows that English is your native language so you need to be aware that non-native learners on the forum will assume, therefore, that everything you write is correct. Please ensure that your posts are grammatically correct and use correct punctuation and spacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.