• Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

blow the lid off cardboard boxes

Hi there.

In May 4 CNN Student News, Carl Azuz said, "Isn't it enough to blow the lid off cardboard boxes? It does cost a little more dough and it looks pretty crusty, but at least you don't need to toss it. Everyone can get a piece of the pie even when only the boxes left." It's a comment on a pizza box made out of pizza. I don't quite understand the underlined part. Could anyone explain to me what it really means and why it's supposed to be funny?

emp0608

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: blow the lid off cardboard boxes

It's not funny.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: blow the lid off cardboard boxes

Quote Originally Posted by emp0608 View Post
    Hi there.

In May 4 CNN Student News, Carl Azuz said, "Isn't it enough to blow the lid off cardboard boxes? It does cost a little more dough and it looks pretty crusty, but at least you don't need to toss it. Everyone can get a piece of the pie even when only the box is left." It's a comment on a pizza box made out of pizza. I don't quite understand the underlined part. Could anyone explain to me what it really means and why it's supposed to be funny?

emp0608
    There's a lot of word play in it. It's a string of double meanings, which I've made bold.

"Blow the lid off" is informal English that can mean beat, out-do, defeat decisively, leave in the dust, vanquish. Carl is saying that pizza dough beats cardboard. Then he goes on to explain why.

Dough: It's what the crust is made of, but it's also slang for money.
    Crusty: The crust is literally crusty, of course, but crusty can also mean stale, dried up, old.
    Toss: To make pizza crust, you toss the dough in the air. But toss also means throw away, discard.
    Get a piece of the pie: Literally, get a slice of pizza. Figuaratively, be included, share the benefits.

Whether it's funny or not is entirely up to the reader. I think I agree with Bhai!
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 21-May-2016 at 18:23.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.