Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi, when "which" is the subject without nouns after that in the following sentences, can the verb after "which" be in the plural form if I would like to use "which" to refer to the things that are plural?

For example:

*A: I read many books. B: Which "make" you want to read again?

*A: There are many defective piece of the item in the batch. But It can't
be sure which "have" been sold out?

*A: I got some tools. B: Which "are" more useful?

*Which "contain" more vitamin C, oranges or lemons?

Are the sentence grammatically correct?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

When "which" is the subject without nouns after that in the following sentences, can the verb after "which" be in the plural form if I would like to use "which" to refer to the things that are plural?

When the question "Which?" can be answered by "Them," "Those," "They," or "These," treat it as a plural.

For example:

*A: I read many books. B: Which "make" you want to read again?

*A: There are many defective pieces of the item in the batch. But I can't
be sure which "have" been sold.

*A: I got some tools. B: Which "are" more useful?

*Which "contains" more vitamin C, oranges or lemons? When you say "or," the answer must be just one of the two fruits, so it's singular.

Are the sentences grammatically correct? All but the last one.

Interesting question!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It should be Which contain more vitamin C, oranges or lemons? "Which" refers to plural nouns so it's plural.To use the singular verb, you'd need singular nouns: Which contains more vitamin C, an orange or a lemon?

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Although, strictly (not to say pedantically) speaking, the use of the plural appears to be grammatically correct, I'm not at all sure that it is.

The underlying meaning of the question, 'Which contains more vitamin C, oranges or lemons?' is 'which of them is richer in vitamin C?' This in turn means 'concentration of vitamin C by volume/weight' not per piece of fruit.

So, 'which contains more vitamin C…?' means 'which categorie contains…?' and seems perfectly natural and correct, to me.

The use of the plural 'contain' would be correct if the question were really about a number of oranges and a number of lemons, but you would have to specify how many of each in order to be able to answer the question.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yup! I'm correcting myself! Since lemons and oranges are both plural, OF COURSE "contain" should be plural - whether lemons contain more or oranges contain more!

So sorry, Ebay, your fourth sentence is fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.