• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

My best friend lived in Hong Kong where there are a lot of delicious foods in...

My best friend lived in Hong Kong where there are a lot of delicious foods in Hong Kong. (from my teacher's handout)
    Is this sentence correct? Can I delete the word "there" before "are"? Is the word "there" necessary? In addition, is "a lot of delicious foods" correct? How about just "a lot of delicious food"? If I use "a lot of delicious food", should I change "are" to "is"? Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: My best friend lived in Hong Kong where there are a lot of delicious foods in...

What is the purpose of your teacher's handout?

Are you required to find mistakes in it?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Re: My best friend lived in Hong Kong where there are a lot of delicious foods in...

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    What is the purpose of your teacher's handout?

Are you required to find mistakes in it?
    As I said before, my grammar teacher is not a native speaker, so she would make mistakes very often. When I find something odd, I will ask here. And this sentence is about a relative clause (the where clause). So I personally find that "a lot of delicious foods" takes a plural form, and I want to check if it's correct or not. I find that maybe just "where are a lot of..." is OK, so I come here to ask it's OK or not. I am not required to find mistakes in it. My teacher doesn't know there are mistakes in it, which is very bad, but I want to learn the correct English. That's all the reasons I ask these questions.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

My best friend lived in Hong Kong where there are a lot of delicious foods. This is correct. Do not repeat "in Hong Kong".
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

Quote Originally Posted by z7655431 View Post
    My best friend lived in Hong Kong where there are a lot of delicious foods in Hong Kong. (from my teacher's handout)
    Is this sentence correct? Can I delete the word "there" before "are"? Is the word "there" necessary? In addition, is "a lot of delicious foods" correct? How about just "a lot of delicious food"? If I use "a lot of delicious food", should I change "are" to "is"? Thanks!
    Yes, essentially, apart from the unnecessary repetition of "Hong Kong" in the relative clause.

You can't delete "there" because it is the subject of the relative clause. You could say "... are a lot of delicious foods", but more natural might be "... is lots/plenty of delicious food". You don't need to repeat "Hong Kong" in the relative clause because the relativised word "where" is an adjunct of place meaning "in Hong Kong", so the relative clause effectively means 'there is lots/plenty of delicious food in Hong Kong'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    My best friend lived in Hong Kong where there are a lot of delicious foods. This is correct. Do not repeat "in Hong Kong".
    I think a comma after Hong Kong is necessary. The 'where' clause is not defining.