My best friend lived in Hong Kong where there are a lot of delicious foods in...

Status
Not open for further replies.

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
My best friend lived in Hong Kong where there are a lot of delicious foods in Hong Kong. (from my teacher's handout)
Is this sentence correct? Can I delete the word "there" before "are"? Is the word "there" necessary? In addition, is "a lot of delicious foods" correct? How about just "a lot of delicious food"? If I use "a lot of delicious food", should I change "are" to "is"? Thanks!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What is the purpose of your teacher's handout?

Are you required to find mistakes in it?

z7655431

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
What is the purpose of your teacher's handout?

Are you required to find mistakes in it?
As I said before, my grammar teacher is not a native speaker, so she would make mistakes very often. When I find something odd, I will ask here. And this sentence is about a relative clause (the where clause). So I personally find that "a lot of delicious foods" takes a plural form, and I want to check if it's correct or not. I find that maybe just "where are a lot of..." is OK, so I come here to ask it's OK or not. I am not required to find mistakes in it. My teacher doesn't know there are mistakes in it, which is very bad, but I want to learn the correct English. That's all the reasons I ask these questions.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
My best friend lived in Hong Kong where there are a lot of delicious foods. This is correct. Do not repeat "in Hong Kong".

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
My best friend lived in Hong Kong where there are a lot of delicious foods in Hong Kong. (from my teacher's handout)
Is this sentence correct? Can I delete the word "there" before "are"? Is the word "there" necessary? In addition, is "a lot of delicious foods" correct? How about just "a lot of delicious food"? If I use "a lot of delicious food", should I change "are" to "is"? Thanks!

Yes, essentially, apart from the unnecessary repetition of "Hong Kong" in the relative clause.

You can't delete "there" because it is the subject of the relative clause. You could say "... are a lot of delicious foods", but more natural might be "... is lots/plenty of delicious food". You don't need to repeat "Hong Kong" in the relative clause because the relativised word "where" is an adjunct of place meaning "in Hong Kong", so the relative clause effectively means 'there is lots/plenty of delicious food in Hong Kong'.

Status
Not open for further replies.