• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

I have an American magazine's name which I cannot correctly hear it by MP3.

Hello, Teachers,
    I recently had heard the American story "A Girl for Walter" by MP3 of VOA Special English, but I have an American magazine's name which I cannot correctly hear it. See this paragraph below:
    You have heard the American story "A Girl for Walter" written by Theodore Jacobs. It first appears in New Gling magazine in 1960. This story is copyrighted, all rights reserved for VOA Special English.
    Is it New Gling or New Cling, or Neu Glenn, or anything else? Explain it, please. Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: I have an American magazine's name which I cannot correctly hear it by MP3.

Mutiny, Spring, 1960.

There are several current online magazines by that name, but none is the one you want. I'm sure it's long gone.

I've sent this email to publisher Houghton Mifflin Harcourt to learn more:

---------------------

TO: techsupport@hmhco.com
    SUBJECT: Tracking down a story source

HMHCO -

Hello! I’m assisting an ESL student who is researching a story that appeared in the 1961 edition of Best American Short Stories. The story is “A Girl For Walter,” by Theodore Jacobs.

Our student’s question is about your cited source, Mutiny, in which the story first appeared, probably in 1960. We’ve never heard of Mutiny and can’t find any information online about it.

Can you tell us anything?

Thank you!

Charlie Bernstein
    Augusta, Maine

---------------------------

I'll let you know if I hear back from them.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Thank Charlie Bernstein very much for your kind help to my question! I'm looking forward to receiving from you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I just heard back from the publisher. No information is available there. What information about Mutiny do you need? (Or are you just transcribing a recording?)
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    I just heard back from the publisher. No information is available there. What information about Mutiny do you need? (Or are you just transcribing a recording?)
    I don't know how to forward a recording of this MP3 on UsingEnglish.com. Would you like to send me what information about Mutiny?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

No, thank you. I don't want the mp3.

My resourceful wife found this information about Theodore Jacobs:

http://www.nypsi.org/#Event/10285

As you'll see, it says he wrote a short story for Mutiny Magazine. That agrees with the Houghton Mifflin Harcourt citation.

BUT: My wife also found a transcript of VOA's mp3. It says (apparently incorrectly) that the story first appeared in N.G. Magazine. That's the "New Gling" you hear.

Is there anything else you need to know?
    Last edited by Charlie Bernstein; 24-May-2016 at 16:07.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

UPDATE:

It's definitely Mutiny Magazine - NOT the new online magazine of the same name, but the old quarterly print magazine. As I said above, it was in the spring, 1960, issue.

And here's Jacobs' own website: www.theodorejacobs.com

Apparently he's quite a guy!