Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Can you check if my grammar test answers are correct ? They are market in Bold

I Complete the sentences with the right derivatives of the given words

1. We expect our (1 govern) government and civil servants to be (2 respond) responsive to our needs.
    2. (3 sustain) The sustenance of the burden of European (4 defend) defence without massive American support seemed for Britain to be of great ( 5 signify) significance.
    3. The ( 6 magnify) magnitude of the Victory Day cannot be underestimated.
    4. The ( 7 favour) favourite gained victory despite the (8 expose) exposure of a number of irregularities at the election.
    5 Two (9 succeed) successive (10 explode) explosions occurred in the area during last week.
    6 (11 violate) Violent acts have often been resorted by (12 adhere) adherents of anarchism.
    7. Some (13 suppress) suppressive measures towards the mass media have been introduced by the government lately.
    8. The (14 destroy) destructive effects of (15 terrorize) terrorist attacks were ( 16 precede) unprecedented.

II Circle the right alternative

1. Winning (government/governmental/governing) power is the (cause/reason/purpose) of organizing any political party.
    2. (Recession/concession/secession) of ethnic territories is considered against the law by many states.
    3. Slavery was supposed to be (abolished/eliminated) by slow and (perceived/perceptible/imperceptible) degrees.
    4. The (terrible/terrific/terrifying) (prospect/perspective) of promotion would (express/impress/press) anyone.
    5. The new reforms are expected to be (adapted/adopted) to the (social/public) situation and (economic/economical) conditions (favoured/favourable/unfavourable) for the moment.

III Complete the sentences with suitable forms of words out of those given

provide, destruction, invariably, fighting, elaborated, weapons, adherents, effective, approved, terrify, strengthen, terrorist, practice, suppress

1. It is clear that America has become better at (29) fighting terror since September 11th.
    2. This week America and Britain (30) elaborated a draft resolution that would demand that UN member-states (31) suppress efforts by any group to transfer (32) weapons of mass (33) destruction to (34) terrorists.
    3. Europe like America (35) is strengthening its defences after attacks on trains in Madrid (36) terrified the continent.
    4. EU leaders, meeting in Brussels, (37) approved a number of new anti-terrorism measures.
    5. In the event of an attack on one country, other will (38) provide assistance. However, doubts remain how (39) effective the new measures will be.
    6. Yet to talk of Al-Qaeda (40) invariably risks misunderstanding the methods that Mr bin Laden's movement has (41) practiced since losing its refuge in Afganistan.
    7. According to American counter-terrorism experts, nearly 3500 suspected Al-Quaeda's (42) addherents have been detained.

GRAMMAR

I Complete the text with correct forms of the verbs in brackets

1. "Now it's time I (1 introduce) introduce my husband to you", said Eleonor to the Hardys when she saw Robert (2 come) come forward.
    2. Robert shook hands with Lady Hardy, and then turned to Sir Frederick, who gave him a puzzled look. " Haven't we met before?", he asked " It's doubtful we have ever (3 come) come across one another", Robert said cooly.
    3. Eleonor suggested that they (4 go) should go in to dinner.
    4. At table she found it strange that Hardy (5 look) looked at Robert as if he (6 try) was trying tried to place him.
    5. But when guests had gone she had a feeling as if the visit (7 upset) had upset her husband.
    6. " I wish you (8 invite) wouldn't have invited the Hardys. You'd better never (9 do) it again", said Robert.
    7. " If I (1 know) had known it would upset you, I (11 invite) wouldn't have invited the to visit us. But why, Robert?"
    8. "Eleonor, I'd rather you (12 know) knew what I know about Hardty. I can only wish you (13 take) take my word for it that he is not the person (14 invite) to invite to our house and I'd much rather they never (15 turn up) turn up here again.

II Suppose the opposite to the statements in the left had column

16. Terrorists are regularly sustained financially that is why they are able to have access to modern weapons.
    Were it not for regularly financial sustenance provided for the terrorists they wouldn’t be able to have access to modern weapons.
    17. Germany's defeat was inevitable when Allies opened the second front.
    But for the second front Germany's defeat wouldn't have been inevitable.
    18. The West cannot defeat terrorism because they haven't made a combined effort.
    If the West had made a combined effort, it could defeat terrorism.
    19. The financial circuits are camouflaged, so it is difficult to detect and dismantle them.
    If the financial circuits weren't camouflaged, it would not be difficult to detect and dismantle them.
    20. The animals on the farm accepted the new code of beliefs because they admitted the pigs' leadership.
    If the animals hadn't admitted the pigs leadership, they wouldn't have accepted the new code of beliefs.

III Make sentences emphatic by using inversion

21. The solution could be found in any way.
    In any way the solution could be found.

22. If a war is unleashed in the region it may expand in to the neighboring states.
    Were a war to be unleashed in the region, it may expand in to the neighboring states.

23. Terrorists seldom take pity in their hostages.
    Seldom do terrorists take pity in their hostages.

24. The party expected very little from the coming elections.
    Little did the party expected from the coming elections.

25. The abuses of the authorities were exposed only recently.
    Only recently the abuses of the authorities were exposed.
    26. Only when terror acts became to violent and caused too many casualties the governments began to think of the war on terror.
    Not until terror acts became to violent and caused too many casualties did the governments begin to think of the war on terror.
    27. There would have been no casualties if appropriate measures had been taken.
    Had appropriate measures been taken, there would have been no casualities.
    28. If the two states where to agree to hold talks a solution to the conflict might be found.
    Were the two states to agree to hold talks, a solution to the conflict might be found.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Can you check if my grammar test answers are correct ? They are market in Bold

What is the purpose of the test?

2. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: Can you check if my grammar test answers are correct ? They are market in Bold

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    What is the purpose of the test?

The purpose is to check my knowledge : lexicon related to (Government and Public Policy, War and Diplomacy, Terrorism) and Grammar (Modal Verbs, Conditional Mood, Subjunctive Mood, Inversion)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Will you be presenting your answers to your teacher for marking/grading?

3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Will you be presenting your answers to your teacher for marking/grading?
    No, its just a control test from the end of my book

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Does the book not provide an answer key?

4. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Romanian
      • Home Country:
      • Romania
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Does the book not provide an answer key?
    No, that's why I asked here . You think I would have asked If I had the answers?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Are you sure you copied number 7 in Section I correctly? "... have often been resorted by" is ungrammatical.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Please don't post so many questions in one thread. It will get messy as people post responses.
    I-2 -- This one doesn't sound right but apparently "sustainment" isn't liked by grammar checkers. The rest of I are okay.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.