• Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

bug cryptosporidium

The costs included: 120m for removal of pesticides; 16m for removal of nitrates; 55m for removal of phosphates and soil; 23m for the removal of the bug cryptosporidium from drinking water by water companies; 125m for damage to wildlife habitats, hedgerows and dry stone walls; 1, 113m from emissions of gases likely to contribute to climate change; 106m from soil erosion and organic carbon losses; 169m from food poisoning; and 607m from cattle disease. Professor Pretty draws a simple but memorable conclusion from all this: our food bills are actually threefold. We are paying for our supposedly cheaper food in three separate ways: once over the counter, secondly through our taxes, which provide the enormous subsidies propping up modern intensive farming, and thirdly to clean up the mess that modern farming leaves behind.

"cryptosporidium" is a kind of bug, so does this expression refer to "bug = cryptosporidium"?
    bug cryptosporidium

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: bug cryptosporidium

The author assumes most readers will not know what cryptosporidium is, so he or she tells you it's a bug with the label "the bug." You can remove "the bug" if you know your reader doesn't need that explanation.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.