• Native Language:
      • Macedonian
      • Home Country:
      • Macedonia
      • Current Location:
      • Macedonia

Sentence Types question

Hello,

I'm studying sentence types (simple, complex, compund and compound-complex).

I did some online test and my results are correct 22/25. I don't know why have I mistaken in for those three sentences:

"He got up, walked over to the window, and jumped out." - I wrote that it is compound but it says it is simple. Why is it simple when there are three independent sentences ("He got up", "he walked over to the window" and "he jumped out")? Is the test check wrong or what am I mistaking here?

I'll post the other 2 sentences later.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Sentence Types question

Welcome to Using English.

The sentence does not repeat the word "he." It does NOT say "he walked" or "he jumped," so it's not linking independent clauses.

Some people will call this a compound sentence. I call it a simple sentence with a compound predicate.
    Last edited by Barb_D; 27-May-2016 at 17:21.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Great Britain
      • Current Location:
      • Great Britain

Re: Sentence Types question

Quote Originally Posted by whitenig View Post
    Hello,

I'm studying sentence types (simple, complex, compound and compound-complex).

I did some online test and my results are 22/25. I don't know why have I mistaken three sentences:

"He got up, walked over to the window, and jumped out." - I wrote that it is compound, but it says it is simple. Why is it simple when there are three independent sentences ("He got up", "he walked over to the window" and "he jumped out")? Is the test check wrong or what am I mistaking here?

I'll post the other 2 sentences later.
    It's because there are not three main clauses in your example:

(1) He [got up, walked over to the window, and jumped out]. (three verb phrases, simple sentence)

(2) [He got up and he walked over to the window, and he jumped out]. (three main clauses, compound sentence)

I agree with Barb D. Your example (1), is just a coordination of three verb phrases, so it's a simple sentence.

Your example can of course be expanded into a logically equivalent coordination of three main clauses as in (2), which would then be a compound sentence.
    Last edited by PaulMatthews; 28-May-2016 at 16:14. Reason: typo