• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

"...pleasure, and BS of wine told through ..." what's the meaning of BS?

Greetings!

I've recently watched a movie and in the synopsis it said "The history, politics, pleasure, and BS of wine told through opening ten very different bottles." What does BS mean? I searched the net and it says that there are 170 plus definitions for BS ;)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: "...pleasure, and BS of wine told through ..." what's the meaning of BS?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

The most common meaning of "BS" is "bullshit" - a somewhat offensive word you shouldn't use unless you're very sure of who you're speaking to. If the movie is remotely amusing or sarcastic, then I think that's what "BS" means in the synopsis. If it's a perfectly serious film about wine, then there must be another intended definition.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

I kind of thought that it might be "bulls*t", but was surprised to see it in the synopsis on imdb.com http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5161502/?ref_=nv_sr_1 Now I'm wondering whether it's just someone's personal (not an official) synopsis. The movie is a serious documentary about wine industry, so not really one that would warrant vulgar wording in the synopsis.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Some of the synopses on imdb are written from a "personal opinion" point of view and some come direct from the filmmakers. If you scroll down to the User Reviews, you will see that someone who watched the film (and is a sommelier) underlines the fact the wine business is based on a lot of BS!
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Thanks emsr2d2! You confirmed my suspicion that the synopsis might have been written by an individual vs the producing company.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    The most common meaning of "BS" is "bullshit" - a somewhat offensive word you shouldn't use unless you're very sure of who you're speaking to. If the movie is remotely amusing or sarcastic, then I think that's what "BS" means in the synopsis. If it's a perfectly serious film about wine, then there must be another intended definition.
    Our governor here in Maine uses it all the time! Google the phrase governor lepage bullshit. I think you'll be impressed.

And of course that's what the writer meant. It's worth noting that Americans (and maybe other English speakers) use initials in speech all the time.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.