• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

Please him

I am reading Academy Street by Mary Costello.

It is about Tess, a small girl leaves in a rural area. Her mother passed away and her father does not care much about his daughter. Therefore Tess is afraid of her father and keeps away from him.

"In September Tess will go, along with Maeve, to the convent boarding school in a town twenty miles away. In the weeks before, preparations are made and new clothes are bought. She has the feeling that these are her last days. She walks around the house and yard, uneasy. She would like her father to notice her, to acknowledge that she is leaving. Just once, she would like to please him."

Certainly, I have to read the underlined words as: "Only this time, she wants to make her father happy." But it seems incorrect meaning since Tess tried quite hard in the past in her work to be a good girl.
    Please Teacher and Member, tell me whether I am reading correctly the underlined sentence. Thanks for your help!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: Please him

She would like to please him at least once; even if it's only this one time.
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

No, "just once" doesn't really mean that she only ever wanted to make him happy one time. It means that she wants to make him happy at least once. If that happens, she will always remember at least one time when he was happy with her.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Sukhomvit View Post

It is about Tess, a small girl leaves living/who lives in a rural area.
    Note my correction above.

I would probably change "small" too unless you are talking about her height. I'd use "young" or the common BrE collocation "little girl". That can be confusing for learners because "small" and "little" are synonyms. However, we say "little girl/boy" to mean "young girl/boy" but we don't use "small" in the same way.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Sukhomvit View Post
    We usually note the titles of books, plays, etc, by placing them in inverted commas or italicising them:

I am reading 'Academy Street' by Mary Costello.