• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

"Scientists said that the wall paintings can be dated back 4000 years ago."

"Scientists said that the wall paintings which were found in a cave in Southern America can be dated back 4000 years ago." (from my teacher's handout)

Is it correct? If not, how should I revise it?

Here are my revised versions:

a. Scientists said that the wall paintings which were found in a cave in Southern America can be dated back 4000 years.
    b. Scientists said that the wall paintings which were found in a cave in Southern America can be dated back to 4000 years ago.
    c. Scientists said that the wall paintings which were found in a cave in Southern America can be dated to 4000 years ago.

Are they all correct?

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Re: "Scientists said that the wall paintings can be dated back 4000 years ago."

Only c. works for me.
    I would prefer "Scientists said that the wall paintings which were found in a cave in Southern America have been dated to 4000 years ago."
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

a) would work for me without "can be" and with "date" instead of "dated".

Scientists say the cave paintings date back 4000 years.
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

And what does "Southern America" mean?

There's a continent called South America. The southern region of the U.S. is called the American South or, more commonly, the South. There's a southern North America and a southern South America. But nothing is called Southern America.

The southern part of Africa is called southern Africa or Southern Africa, and its southern-most country is called South Africa. That might be the source of confusion.

So if you want to revise something, start there!
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I think it's probably a rewrite of a question about the cave paintings in France. I don't know of any native cave paintings among the Hopi.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Right. And that's not the South. It's the Southwest, about 1,500 miles father west.

I read this week about a trove of cave paintings they just found in Spain. But I don't know of any in North OR South America.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

My only qualm with any of the originals is that 'ago' is redundant in b). If you're going to use 'dated back', then 'ago' is redundant.

Regarding the issue of rock art in the US - there are thousands of cave paintings throughout North and South America, along with petroglyphs (technically not paintings, I'll admit.)

Some prime examples are the Chumash cave paintings in Southern California, the newly discovered Cumberland plateau cave paintings, northern Mexico, Sego Canyon in Utah, and yes, the Hopi rock paintings in Tawaa Canyon. The Ojibwe people were prolific rock artists throughout much of modern southern Canada and the northern US.

The American Southwest is especially rich in native rock art, with enough examples to even start classifying by artistic style. Here are just a few basic sites to start exploring - they'll lead anybody interested to additional sources. Note there's plenty to be found all over the US, not just the SW.
    Singing desert
    Rock Art foundation

Hopi rock art guide
    http://www.artsology.com/rockart.php

Rock art of the southwest
    Rock art of the Mississippi Valley
    Rock art in Arkansas
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    And what does "Southern America" mean?

There's a continent called South America. The southern region of the U.S. is called the American South or, more commonly, the South. There's a southern North America and a southern South America. But nothing is called Southern America.

The southern part of Africa is called southern Africa or Southern Africa, and its southern-most country is called South Africa. That might be the source of confusion.

So if you want to revise something, start there!
    We can say "southern Italy" or "southern Spain", but nothing is called Southern America. This makes me very confused. According to the Oxford Dictionary, the word "southern" means "located in the south or facing south; connected with or typical of the south part of the world or a region". So, I don't why we cannot say such a term as "southern or Southern America". However, according to Wiki, the Southern United States, commonly referred to as the American South, Dixie, or simply the South, is a region of the United States of America. It seems that it's OK to say the Southern United States. Wiki doesn't say "Southern America", so maybe it's really incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Quote Originally Posted by Skrej View Post
    My only qualm with any of the originals is that 'ago' is redundant in b). If you're going to use 'dated back', then 'ago' is redundant.
    Do you mean that this sentence without "ago" is correct? Or you mean that the other sentences are also correct expect the orgininal b with "ago"?

"Scientists said that the wall paintings which were found in a cave in the America South can be dated back to 4000 years."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

I find that sentence incorrect without "ago".
    “Every miserable fool who has nothing at all of which he can be proud, adopts as a last resource pride in the nation to which he belongs; he is ready and happy to defend all its faults and follies tooth and nail, thus reimbursing himself for his own inferiority.”

— Arthur Schopenhauer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast