If I made a misspelling in this situation.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Xtreme

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hello everyone.

I asked a number of questions regarding a television show in a forum, and after a number of members have answered my questions, I found out that I have made a number of spelling mistakes.

Should I dismiss the answers that I got ?

Please note that the reason I asked the questions that I asked in that forum were non-academic, as they were for entertainment purposes only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We cannot tell without reading the questions and answers.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why would you dismiss the answers you got? Were the spelling mistakes so grave that you think they completely changed the meaning of the question and therefore people weren't answering the question you wanted them to?

The_Xtreme

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Why would you dismiss the answers you got? Were the spelling mistakes so grave that you think they completely changed the meaning of the question and therefore people weren't answering the question you wanted them to?

Well, the mistake I made was that I wrote "clams" instead of "claims" three, four, or maybe five times but I think the rest of

the question is fine.

In this situation, do I have to dismiss all the answers that I got ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that case, you might have got misleading answers. However, as Rover said, we can't say for certain without seeing the question and the answers.

The_Xtreme

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
In that case, you might have got misleading answers. However, as Rover said, we can't say for certain without seeing the question and the answers.

OK, this is the question that I asked, my question was about an anime TV series, not a normal TV show.

I apologise for my mistake.

My question was about an arc called "Skypies" in an anime show called "One Piece", this is my question :

In this arc Enel clams to be "god", but does he clam to be A god or THE God ?

And is he what he clams to be ?

Please note that "this arc" refers to the Skypiea arc.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
People reading that would surely have realised that you meant to type 'claim' and 'claims'.

Is there anything in their answers that leads you to believe they thought you were referring to shellfish?

The_Xtreme

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
People reading that would surely have realised that you meant to type 'claim' and 'claims'.

Is there anything in their answers that leads you to believe they thought you were referring to shellfish?

On the contrary, all of the answers that I got answer the question perfectly and I didn't notice anything that shows that they

might have misunderstood the question.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Should I dismiss the answers that I got?

Not necessarily- typos are common on the internet, and autocorrect features can replace words, so spelling mistakes are not a completely scientific measure of the worth of an answer.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On the contrary, all of the answers that I got answer the question perfectly and I didn't notice anything that shows that they

might have misunderstood the question.

Then why would you want to dismiss them? Clearly your spelling mistake did not matter at all.

I would post a reply thanking them for their answers, and perhaps you could make a little joke about "despite my clam/claim mix-up."

Status
Not open for further replies.