• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Croatian
      • Home Country:
      • Croatia
      • Current Location:
      • Croatia

Question about birthday

This might seem silly to you, maybe not, but I cannot find nowhere what is the name of a person who is celebrating his/hers birthday? Is it birthday boy, maybe birthday feted, so what is it? I would appreciate everything you know about that, if there is such name in the first place. English is not my mother tongue, but I am trying to write a nice little poem, so I would appreciate it..

1. sheena55ro

Re: Question about birthday

Quote Originally Posted by Idiomaticus
    This might seem silly to you, maybe not, but I cannot find nowhere what is the name of a person who is celebrating his/hers birthday? Is it birthday boy, maybe birthday feted, so what is it? I would appreciate everything you know about that, if there is such name in the first place. English is not my mother tongue, but I am trying to write a nice little poem, so I would appreciate it..
    No, I`ve never heard of "birthday boy" .It sounds so odd to me.
    Answer:

the celebrated one[s] , the celebrated boy[girl]

ex. The celebrated girl , who turns 18 today, has been waiting for her guests...

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Idiomaticus

In the U.S., anyway, the usual terms are "Birthday Boy" or "Birthday Girl", no matter what age the person is. (That is, even if the celebrant is in his or her 60s or 70s, they are still referred to as "boy" or "girl" in birthday terms.)

3. sheena55ro

Quote Originally Posted by Ouisch
    In the U.S., anyway, the usual terms are "Birthday Boy" or "Birthday Girl", no matter what age the person is. (That is, even if the celebrant is in his or her 60s or 70s, they are still referred to as "boy" or "girl" in birthday terms.)

Thank you for your reply. It`s very interesting and I`ll keep it in mind.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Yes, it's the same in the UK: "birthday boy" or "birthday girl". It's always jocular.

(I must admit, I've never heard "the celebrated girl" or "the celebrated one"!)

MrP

4. sheena55ro

Thank you very much.

Taking into consideration that English is not my native language, I sometimes make mistakes.