...our organisation have/has finally managed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
After all, faith is all about fighting against devils and obstacles without stopping. We cannot afford to loosen up, or else we will become the envoy of the devils who have entered the world of pleasure, and disturb the shakubuku spirit that our organisation have/has finally managed to establish after going through all hardships. Therefore, we should be especially careful about it, and examine our own faith, day and night.

In British English, should it be has or have in this context?

Thanks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It should be 'has' in any variety of English.

You have not named the source of the text.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks, Rover.

It is from a Nichiren Shu Buddhist magazine.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
It should be 'has' in any variety of English.

You have not named the source of the text.

A friend of mine told me that "organisation" is a collective noun and added that in British English a plural verb is acceptable. It surprises me. Was she pulling my leg?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A friend of mine told me that "organisation" is a collective noun and added that in British English a plural verb is acceptable. It surprises me. Was she pulling my leg?

And I've heard several (American) teachers say that, for groups of people, plural verbs are REQUIRED in British English, as in the army are advancing, the band were taking a break, the class of 2016 have taken their final exams.

No?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. Such a sweeping statement is absurd. Nobody requires us to do anything.

Who's supposed to be doing the requiring, and making a 'rule' for every possible case in every conceivable context?

Last edited:

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks, Rover.

From your reply, it means "has" should be used, whether it is British English, American English or any other variety of English.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No. Such a sweeping statement is absurd. Nobody requires us to do anything.

Who's supposed to be doing the requiring, and making a 'rule' for every possible case in every conceivable context?

You're right, of course. Thanks! All I meant was that I understood the plural form is generally considered to be good British grammar, while in American grammar, it would be singular unless the noun is plural: The Beatles are . . . .

Now that we've clarified that, I'm still left wondering which is grammatical in British English.

By the way, I was at the library today and ordered a copy of Cambridge Grammar of English - which I know is smaller than Cambridge Grammar of the English Language, but it's all they could find for me. There are a few things I want to look up!

Status
Not open for further replies.