Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello there

I lately discovered this diagraming sentence thing and I have no idea what is it, I never been taught in school before even in University. Now I am very interesting in this but there are not much references on the internet. I found a few examples but I still don't get the idea.

attachment.php
Here is a sample of diagramed sentence. Is there any rules need to remember ?? why we associate in, trash, the to the verb threw but not other words and so on ...

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 10.49.38.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 10.49.38.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 38

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
danghuynh said:
Are there any rules I need to remember ??

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Danghuynh:

Thank you for your exciting question. This kind of diagramming is my favorite hobby.

1. This is the so-called Reed-Kellogg diagramming system (named for those two men).
2. Before World War II, many American teachers tried to teach it to their students.
3. Today it is rarely taught.
4. At the university level, in linguistics classes, they use tree diagrams, not Reed-Kellogg.
5. In my opinion, many English learners would really improve their knowledge of English if they knew Reed-Kellogg. Why? Because it forces you to account for every single word.

6. Let's diagram that sentence:

a. The skeleton (basic sentence) of that sentence is: kids (subject) | threw (verb)| vegetables (object).
b. The line under "kids" tells us that "the" modifies "kids."
c. "in the trash" is a prepositional phrase. It is placed under the verb "threw" because it answers the question: Where did the kids throw the vegetables?
d. You now know why "the" is on a line under the word "vegetables."

EXCITING NEWS: Can you access Google? If you can, go to Google and find this website: German - Latin - English.com (That website will teach you how to use the Reed-Kellogg diagramming system.)

Last edited:

danghuynh88

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello Parser

Thanks for showing me the website. I am reading it now - it seem to be a very interesting topic to study.

Status
Not open for further replies.