Meaning of "taking a woman off to the hay bales"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dendi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What is the meaning of "taking a woman off to the hay bales"?

For example, a group of (non-close) friends is doing the famous Route 66 and, while crossing Arizona, at the end of the day one of the guys describes the day on Facebook:

"One flat tire in need of change.
Ten diners we passed by.
Zero hours of rest Adam had.
Two cowboys seen taking Mary off to the hay bales.
{...}
Mary did get to go to the nearby town but she had to sweet talk 2 cowboys."

(edit: "diners we passed by" instead of "diners we passed through")

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I guess it's a reference to sex- a roll in the hay means to have sex with someone, so I assume from the last sentence that she was allowing them to flirt with her.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's somewhat unnatural throughout, particularly "Zero hours of rest Adam had". I agree that it suggests she was seen heading off for some hanky-panky.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It seems more than likely there was sex involved.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's somewhat unnatural throughout, particularly "Zero hours of rest Adam had". I agree that it suggests she was seen heading off for some hanky-panky.

Yes, the passage has a lot of mistakes, including some Yoda-speak - that is, things phrased backwards. For instance, it would be natural American English to say "Adam had zero hours of rest."

And yes, it's about sex. We sometimes call sex "a roll in the hay."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I guess it's a reference to sex- a roll in the hay means to have sex with someone, so I assume from the last sentence that she was allowing them to flirt with her.

The last sentence suggests to me that she was the one doing the flirting, possibly in order to get a lift to the nearby town.

Dendi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks for all the answers. The poster was writing about the day describing the abundance of things that had happened. I believe this is why his post was worded like that - focusing on the number of each of the many things that happened on that fulfilling day, so every line started with the number which resulted in some strange wording at times.

---

I'm not a native English speaker (the guy who posted that is, though) but I kind of thought that the expression could possibly mean something along the lines "heading off to the sunset". Is it possible that is the meaning? Though to be honest, of all the people I've asked not a single person came up with such interpretation.

Failing that meaning, the only other meaning that appears believable (and in agreement to every single response I got from everyone I've asked) is "going to a secluded place to have sex with the 2 cowboys" either as a joke or with literal meaning.

Everything else in the post appears to be put in a slightly humoristic way but directly true. Ex, they did have a flat tire. They did pass through 10 diners. Etc. So one would expect that the line about Mary being taken to the hay bales to also be direct truth. Additionally, jeez, that's such a weird joke to say about a woman and post it in public on facebook...

On the other hand, that being literal... Jeez, heading off somewhere secluded to have sex with 2 unknown guys in an unknown place. And doing that in sight of the group of male/female friends!? She's a strong independent woman, they were having quite an adventure, tired, feeling adventurous, probably softened up by the heat, etc - but still, jeez... And, again, upon seeing that his friend (friend?) exposing that in a public post on facebook? Jeez...

---

It's pretty obvious "Mary" (not her real name, not the real post) is a woman I'm in love with. Not only am I not a native English speaker (and kind of thought that could mean "heading off to the sunset"), I can't even think straight about what it might mean.

Even though questioning the meaning of the expression stemmed from my insecurity, this is still a valid question about English expressions and interpretation of meaning - thanks for all the answers.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could have passed by ten diners, but I don't see how you you could have passed through ten diners.

Dendi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That "facebook post" was written by me trying to retain as best possible the meaning, context and intonation of the original real post while not entirely disclosing it. Ex: "Mary" is not the real name. Clearly my English is not so good. Sorry about that.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dendi, your English is not bad. In fact, by the standards of Facebook It's excellent.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . I'm not a native English speaker (the guy who posted that is, though) but I kind of thought that the expression could possibly mean something along the lines "heading off to the sunset". Is it possible that is the meaning? . . .

No.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.