Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 2
    #1

    What is the answer?

    The exam lasted two hours, during ...... time the students were expected to answer a hundred questions.
    a) which
    b) that
    c) how much
    d) whose
    e) ​when

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,462
    #2

    Re: What is the answer?

    Welcome to the forum, smart_care.

    We do not simply give answers to test questions. If you are really an English teacher you should be able to make your own attempt to answer that one.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Jun 2016
    • Posts: 2
    #3

    Re: What is the answer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover_KE View Post
    Welcome to the forum, smart_care.

    We do not simply give answers to test questions. If you are really an English teacher you should be able to make your own attempt to answer that one.
    Well, I AM an English teacher and my purpose is NOT simply to get the right answer, actually. On an advanced English testing discussion site, the question has had a large number of hits so far, and the answer there is not clear yet. So, I posted this question to KNOW the answer with the reasons and, maybe, with references to example sentences. I did really get your point when you say: "If you are a teacher bla bla bla...", and your real intention to NEEDLE; however, the fact that you can speak a language better than someone else, unfortunately, does not make you a smarter and, hence, a better person! Kapish dear moderator? ;)

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,462
    #4

    Re: What is the answer?

    In the past, we have had students purporting to be teachers wanting to be spoonfed answers to test/homework questions. Some of us are therefore suspicious of posts like this. If we had simply given the answer, students and learners would have got the idea that this was a legitimate use of the forum.

    As it is, we still need to know what you think is the answer, or what the consensus of views you have read so far appears to be.

    We are always insisting on thread starters providing context for their questions, and in the case of multiple-choice questions, making their own effort first.
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 04-Jun-2016 at 14:37.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 9,285
    #5

    Re: What is the answer?

    Quote Originally Posted by smart_care View Post
    On an advanced English testing discussion site, the question has had a large number of hits so far, and the answer there is not clear yet.
    The test question is well written. Only one of the answers is possible. Does this help?
    I am not a teacher.

  1. Charlie Bernstein's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2009
    • Posts: 3,570
    #6

    Re: What is the answer?

    Quote Originally Posted by smart_care View Post
    Well, I AM an English teacher and my purpose is NOT simply to get the right answer, actually. On an advanced English testing discussion site, the question has had a large number of hits so far, and the answer there is not clear yet. . . .
    To an English teacher, it WOULD be clear. It's not a hard question.
    I'm not a teacher. I speak American English. I've tutored writing at the University of Southern Maine and have done a good deal of copy editing and writing, occasionally for publication.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 9,285
    #7

    Re: What is the answer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    To an English teacher, it WOULD be clear. It's not a hard question.
    Teachers of foreign languages don't always have a complete mastery of the language they teach. In fact, when they teach what is for them a second language, I imagine the large majority have some uncertainties about it. To completely master a foreign language is a huge task which few people ever achieve, including teachers.
    I am not a teacher.

  2. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,809
    #8

    Re: What is the answer?

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    To an English teacher, it WOULD be clear. It's not a hard question.
    It is clear to this English learner.
    I am not a teacher.

  3. Piscean's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Jul 2015
    • Posts: 9,939
    #9

    Re: What is the answer?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    Teachers of foreign languages don't always have a complete mastery of the language they teach. In fact, when they teach what is for them a second language, I imagine the large majority have some uncertainties about it. To completely master a foreign language is a huge task which few people ever achieve, including teachers.
    Quite.

    Indeed, many native speakers of English might make the wrong choice in the original question. They shouldn't - it would involve a comma splice - but that wouldn't stop them. I suspect that the wrong choice would sound more natural to some speakers than the correct choice.

    So, smart_care 'that' would be correct if the comma were a semi-colon; however, it is not correct with the comma. That should help you.

  4. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

    • Join Date: Nov 2013
    • Posts: 7,809
    #10

    Re: What is the answer?

    The following thread might be helpful to the OP.
    https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/t...ing-which-time
    I am not a teacher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. His answer is righter than her answer
    By sb70012 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 25-Aug-2013, 19:34
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21-Mar-2013, 14:55
  3. possible answer
    By ostap77 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-Nov-2010, 18:08
  4. could you answer, please?
    By co2 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 26-Mar-2008, 00:34

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •