Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Good day teachers!
I'm confused in knowing which is the subject in passive voice. I learned that the subject is the doer of the action but I read in an article that in passive voice the subject is the receiver of the action and not the source, is it correct teachers?
Sam kicked the ball. - The subject is Sam
The ball was kicked by Sam. - Which is the subject?
and furthermore could you please correct me which subject should I use when the active voice is changed to passive voice:
I kicked the ball- active
The ball was kicked by I? or me?
Thanks teacher.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'The ball' is the subject in 'The ball was kicked by me', where 'me' is the object of the preposition 'by'.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Good day teachers!
I'm confused [STRIKE]in knowing which is[/STRIKE] about the subject in the passive voice. I learned that the subject is the doer of the action but I read in an article that, in passive voice, the subject is the receiver of the action and not the source. Is it correct, teachers?
Sam kicked the ball. - The subject is Sam
The ball was kicked by Sam. - Which is the subject? "The ball" is the subject and "Sam" is the object of the preposition "by".
And furthermore, could you please correct me on which subject [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] I should use when the active voice is changed to passive voice:
I kicked the ball- active
The ball was kicked by I? or me? The ball was kicked by me.
Thanks teacher.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
could you please correct me on which subject [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] I should use when the active voice is changed to passive voice
I think the question should be 'could you please tell me whether I should use the subject or object form when the active voice is changed to the passive?'

smelvanzq

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Does it mean teacher that it is not absolute that the subject is the doer of the action? I've been searching the net for article about subject but I could not find it.

smelvanzq

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Thanks teacher. Could you please share a link regarding this matter. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.