[Grammar] Is there any grammar mistakes in my text?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chocobo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hello all,

I am doing/taking an online beginner's grammar course of English. I think it is a very useful course because I can revise everything I had learned or had not learned in the past, I mean in the school I studied.

Originally, there are many basic grammars I haven't learnt yet. So, I think taking the "beginner's course" is the wisest choice I have made. Many people started with an intermediate level, but I think I should not do that because as mentioned above, there are many basic grammars I haven't learnt yet that I should do a beginner's course first.
Maybe you think this is none of your business. Actually, I don't have a job to do so far. I am just spending some time to type something here. I hope I will finish all the courses I am interested in studying in that college's website.
Today, I won't go outside because I don't have money to buy things. What I can do is to study the course at home and finish the second assignment. I have got excellent marks in the first assignment but I know it is much harder in the second assignment. I have to try harder in order to get good marks to pass it. Anyway, I just want to express what I am thinking in my mind.

Is there any grammar mistakes in the text above? I am very pleased to see your comments. Thanks a lot~

Last edited:

Narkises

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Nice to meet you, a Chinese student here. I am happy to know your feelings and experiences. I hope you do well in every assignment. :-D

I woud appreciate you if you find my grammatical problems. ;-)

( I am a student too)

chocobo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi,
Nice to meet you, a Chinese student here. I am happy to know your feelings and experiences. I hope you do well in every assignment. :-D

I woud appreciate you if you find my grammatical problems. ;-)

( I am a student too)

Hello,

Nice to meet you too. It seems that your English is not bad. I didn't see any grammar mistake in your writing above.
I like learning languages especially English and Japanese. I am doing an online English course and I am taking a Japanese course.
I know my English is not good enough, just not too bad. I am trying my best to learn it and I have done my second assignment of the course. There are some questions I am not sure if I get it correct:roll: Of course, I hope I get high marks there but I know it is not easy.
Actually, I am taking a grammar and vocabulary course. My vocabulary is really limited. Many people whose grammar is worse than me have more vocabularies than I have. My listening is not so bad but I can hardly understand what native speakers say because I am lacking in vocabularies. There are many words I haven't learnt before and maybe I have forgotten many words I have learnt before.
Anyway, I must try my best to study the course and I hope my English will be much improved after I finished the courses.

If there is any grammar mistake, I am very pleased to know it. Thank you very much!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello all,

I am [STRIKE]doing/[/STRIKE]taking an online beginner's [STRIKE]grammar[/STRIKE] course [STRIKE]of [/STRIKE]
in English grammar. I think it is a very useful course because I can revise everything I [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] have learned [STRIKE]or had not learned[/STRIKE] in the past[STRIKE] I mean[/STRIKE] in the school I studied.

[STRIKE]Originally[/STRIKE]At first, there [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] were many topics on basic grammar[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] I [STRIKE]haven't learnt yet[/STRIKE] hadn't learned. So, I think taking the "beginner's course" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] was the wisest choice I have made. Many people started with [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] intermediate level, but I [STRIKE]think[/STRIKE] thought I should not do that because, as mentioned above, [STRIKE]there are many basic grammars I haven't learnt yet that I should do a beginner's course first[/STRIKE] the beginner's level was more suitable for me.

Maybe you think this [STRIKE]is none of your business[/STRIKE] does not concern you. Actually, I don't have a job [STRIKE]to do[/STRIKE] so far. I am just spending some time to type something here. I hope I will finish all the courses I am interested in studying in that college's website.

Today, I won't go out[STRIKE]side[/STRIKE] because I don't have money to buy things. What I can do is to study the course at home and finish the second assignment. I have got excellent marks in the first assignment but I know [STRIKE]it is much harder in[/STRIKE] the second assignment is much harder. I have to try harder[STRIKE] in order [/STRIKE]to get good marks [STRIKE]to pass it[/STRIKE]. Anyway, I just want to express here what I am thinking in my mind.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi,
Nice to meet you. I am a Chinese student [STRIKE]here[/STRIKE]. I am happy to know your feelings and experiences. I hope you would do well in every assignment. :-D

I would appreciate [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE] it if you[STRIKE] find my grammatical problems[/STRIKE] could check my writing for grammar mistakes. ;-)

( I am a student too)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello,

Nice to meet you too. It seems to me that your English is not bad. I [STRIKE]didn't[/STRIKE] do not see any grammar mistake in your writing above.

I like learning languages, especially English and Japanese. I am doing an online English course and[STRIKE] I am taking[/STRIKE] a Japanese course.

I know my English is[STRIKE] not good enough, just not too bad[/STRIKE] average. I am trying my best to learn [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] and I have done my second assignment [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] for the course. There are some questions I am not sure if I get [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] them correct:roll: Of course, I hope [STRIKE]I [/STRIKE] to get high marks [STRIKE]there[/STRIKE] but I know it is not easy.
Actually, I am taking a grammar and vocabulary course. My vocabulary is really limited. Many people whose grammar is worse than [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] mine have [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] better [STRIKE]vocabularies[/STRIKE] vocabulary than I have. My listening is not so bad but I can hardly understand what native speakers say because I am lacking in [STRIKE]vocabularies[/STRIKE] vocabulary. There are many words I haven't learnt before and maybe I have forgotten many words I have learnt [STRIKE]before[/STRIKE].
Anyway, I must try my best to study the course and I hope my English will [STRIKE]be much improved [/STRIKE] improve a lot after I finish[STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] the courses.

If there is any grammar mistake in my writing,[STRIKE] I am very pleased to know it[/STRIKE] please let me know. Thank you very much!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are [STRIKE]Is[/STRIKE] there any grammar mistakes in the text above?

There was one mistake in your question. It's also in the thread's subject.

Narkises

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
Nice to meet you. I am a Chinese student [STRIKE]here[/STRIKE]. I am happy to know your feelings and experiences. I hope you would do well in every assignment. :-D

I would appreciate [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE] it if you[STRIKE] find my grammatical problems[/STRIKE] could check my writing for grammar mistakes. ;-)

( I am a student too)

Hey,
I have some problems with the way you corrected my post:

1) I'm not a Chinese student. Actually, I referred to Chocobo. Nice to meet a Chinese student here!
2) I checked a dictionary and I am positive about this fact that I can use a simple present verb after "hope that".
3) Why do you insist on changing the structure of "if conditioning sentences"? Maybe you could correct me this way: I will appreciate it if you find my grammar mistakes.

Overall, I thank you for your help.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

I am taking an online course in English grammar.

I hope you don't have to revise much, because if you do that means you were taught the wrong things.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I have some problems with the way you corrected my post:

1) I'm not a Chinese student. Actually, I referred to Chocobo. Nice to meet a Chinese student here!
Now I understand. Your original version was not natural. The underlined version is better.

2) I checked a dictionary and I am positive about this fact that I can use a simple present verb after "hope that".
Yes, you can, but I do not think it is appropriate in the context. You are hoping for something (doing well in all future assignments ). The present tense is sometimes used with the "immediate future", probably the assignment at hand. Will/would is more appropriate to refer to the future in general. I would say "will"(implying certainty) is better.

3) Why do you insist on changing the structure of "if conditioning sentences"? Maybe you could correct me this way: I will appreciate it if you find my grammar mistakes.
Will you not appreciate other people's efforts if they check your writing and do not find any mistake? You normally say you request others to check your writing, not "find your mistakes". Sometimes it is not about mistakes, but how a sentence can be improved, as I have discussed above.
This is not an issue of grammar, but logic.

Overall, I thank you for your help.
Your feedback is welcome. I am learning as well.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tedmc, you usually use the quote feature when making corrections/suggestions. Have you abandoned that?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

I am taking an online course in English grammar for beginners.

And:

There is much about English grammar that I have yet to learn.

Or:

There is much about English grammar that I haven't learned yet.

Make paragraph breaks!

(We TAKE courses, and we TAKE exams. (AmE)).

Last edited:

Narkises

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You used two "taking"s in your first sentence.
I have OCD, too. :turn-l:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(We TAKE courses, and we TAKE exams.)

When I was a student in Canada, we sat exams. I think that's how it's said in BrE, too.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I hope you would do well in every assignment. Wrong.

I hope you do well in every assignment. Right (as originally written).

I hope you will do well in every assignment. Also right and means the same thing.

I hope you'll do well in every assignment. Also right and means the same thing.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You used two "taking"s in your first sentence.
I have OCD, too. :turn-l:

Thanks. I'll fix that. (I also used the same sentence twice later in that post.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks. I'll fix that. (I also used the same sentence twice later in that post.)

Now people will have to wonder which one I was talking about.

Narkises, does Charlie's post look somewhat familiar?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

So I think taking the beginner's course was the best choice.

And:

Many people started at an intermediate level.

And:

But I decided to start at a beginner level to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Chocobo, sometimes you start a sentence and it seems to be going in a certain direction but then kind of wanders off. I suggest that you make shorter, simpler sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.