• Native Language:
      • Thai
      • Home Country:
      • Thailand
      • Current Location:
      • Thailand

The idea

Source: Out of Africa by Isak Dinensen.
    Author wrote on her life in Africa by early 20th century. Once, in her farm, there was an accident. A young native girl was run over by a bullock cart outside author's house and killed. Her parents come and claimed for a full indemnification. Author said no and broke off the discussion. Those native people, stuck to their claim immovably, then sat down outside and wait.

"at the time when the lamps were lighted in my house, I sent them out money to buy a sheep to eat. It was a bad move, they took it as the first sign of exhaustion in a besieged city and sat down for the night. I do not know if they would have had it in them to go away, if it had not been that, late in the evening, they conceived the idea of running in the young cart-driver for their damage. The idea lifted them off the grass and away, suddenly, without a word, and took them early next morning to Dagoretti, where our Assistant District Commissioner lived."

I do not fully understand the underlined sentence. What is "it"? I guessed "it" means 'the idea of running in the young cart-driver for their damage". But if so, since author does not know for sure, how come she wrote "the idea lifted them off the grass and away, suddenly, without a word, and took them early next morning to Dagoretti, where our Assistant District Commissioner lived"

Please Teachers and Member, help me out for a more vivid understanding. Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: The idea

They're dummy pronouns.
    For the first "it", have a look at the link below.
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/de...have+it+in+one

The second "it" basically means "the situation."