Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"onboard" used as a verb? That's a new one for me!

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's all the rage in current HR speak. Onboarding instead of hiring or recruiting, offboarding instead of terminating or firing.

I've never heard in used in the context of student retention, though.

I first heard it a few years ago at a staff meeting when a representative from Human Resources was addressing us about a recruitment drive or something. She actually used offboarding first, so I just spoke up and asked if that meant fired. She gave me a dirty look and said "The term firing is negative and potentially demeaning."

I sort of thought that was the whole point of being fired, but I didn't say so.

I later realized I should have asked what was so demeaning about being 'hired' that they had to replace it as well, but I was busy rolling my eyes and trying to muffle my snorts.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I used to consult for a company that regularly onboarded fully buzzword-enabled individuals. They would have, anyway, had onboarding existed in those benighted days of the last millennium. I had to liaise extensively with one particularly buzzword-enhanced person. It took a while before I realized he didn't actually know anything; he was able to sound knowledgeable merely by spouting strings of techy new words.

Status
Not open for further replies.