[Grammar] "the extraordinary honour of marrying me".

Status
Not open for further replies.

xoleoni971

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
Hi!
I came across a statement when I watched a movie yesterday. It stated "Would you do me the extraordinary honour of marrying me?"
The problem is that it leaves me confused with what it really means? Does that mean for you to marry me is an extraordinary honour or to marry me is an extraordinary honour?
And also can you please explain me what's the other meaning of "of" itself other than expressing a relationship between 2 things.
Thank you very much in advance.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It means "For you to marry me is an extraordinary honour". He's definitely not saying the second sentence.

There are many meanings of 'of'. It would be best to look them up in a dictionary, and post a specific question if you don't understand a certain meaning.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
to marry me is an extraordinary honour

If this were the intended meaning, the speaker would have to say something like My marrying you would honour you greatly. It would also be an extraordinary thing to say to someone.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If this were the intended meaning, the speaker would have to say something like My marrying you would honour you greatly. It would also be an extraordinary thing to say to someone.

It's certainly an extraordinarily complicated way of saying "You'd be damn lucky to have me!" ;-)

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It's certainly an extraordinarily complicated way of saying "You'd be damn lucky to have me!" ;-)

Just for the pure arrogance of it - how about "Would you do yourself the honor of marrying me?"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you have friends who are successful bigamists? :shocked!:

Status
Not open for further replies.