program approved by the 28th legislature culminated in the November general election

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're right, the sentence is confusing. "Culminated in" means "resulted in" or "ended in" or "came to a final conclusion in." A program doesn't result in an election.

I read your clipping. To answer your question: a group of reforms were proposed by lawmakers and then approved by voters. Instead of "culminated," it should say "approved."

Last edited:

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
You're right, the sentence is confusing. "Culminated in" means "resulted in" or "ended in" or "came to a final conclusion in." A program doesn't result in an election.

I read your clipping. To answer your question: a group of reforms were proposed by lawmakers and then approved by voters. Instead of "culminated," it should say "approved."

But the approve is already in use in the sentence as "program approved by ..."

Thanks

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It doesn't make sense to me. The program did not result in an election. The program may have been ratified or approved by the general public in the election. It didn't "culminate" in an election.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, if the election was to ratify the program, then the drawing up of the program surely culminated in the election.

All the campaigning on the Brexit issue will culminate in the referendum on 23 June.

That's a fair point, although I'd still like it better if it said that the campaign culminated or the effort culminated. The idea of the program itself culminating doesn't read as well for me.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
This is a test. I'm trying to open the thread.
[Edit: it worked!]

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

Why do you call it as "clipping" ? Clipping means the article cut out from a magazine or newpaper etc this isn't it just a "link" ?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.