Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
I am reading Out of Africa by Isak Dinensen.
Author described about brass-serpent, another name of Nehushtan which is symbol from Bible, was sort of like a lightning rod for sickness, taking all the disease in so the people could be cured.
After an accident killed two kids in the farm, the author is coming:

"
Because I grieved for the children, the people of the farm found it in them to lay the matter aside, and let it rest there for the time being. In regard to our misfortunes they looked upon me as the congregation looks upon the priest who empties the cup alone, but on their behalf."

As I am not Christian, I do not understand underlined words. I guess it is a service which represents that Jesus is considered to be the scapegoat for humanity.Please could someone explain what it is. Thanks!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
At the Holy Mass, or service of Holy Communion, after everyone has sipped wine — representing Christ's blood — from the chalice, any remaining wine must be drunk by the priest, as it has been sanctified and must not be thrown away.

That's only for information; I can't explain the quoted text.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The farmers felt that he had grieved for their children on the behalf - that is, that he did it for all of them.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In the Catholic church, the congregation does not drink the wine. They get the piece of bread (the body of Christ), but only the priest drinks the wine/blood.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the Catholic church, the congregation does not drink the wine. They get the piece of bread (the body of Christ), but only the priest drinks the wine/blood.

This was the old practice and it is this to what this passage is referring. In many placse today, at least in the US, the consecrated wine is offered to anyone who wants it. It is not necessary for believers to partake of both bread and wine, but it is an option.

And Rover is right, any "left over" after Communion is distributed is consumed by the priest as part of the "cleaning of the vessals" that happens as part of the Mass.

(And yes, Jesus Christ is believed to be the sacrifice that satisfies God and Jesus takes upon Himself the sins of the entire world.)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks for that information, Dave. My days as a practicing Catholic are long past. At the time, I thought that the practice of sharing the cup with multitudes of strangers was unhygienic. Do they typically still use the same chalice, or drink from little paper cups that I have also seen used?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the Church of England we typically all drink from the same chalice. Those nervous about passing on or picking up germs practise intinction (dipping the wafer lightly into the wine.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We all share from the same chalice. Or from 4 chalices, to be more exact in my parish. Paper cups are not a suitable receptacle, being porous. and disposable. There would be no way to ensure none of the Blood was defiled. Part of the cleansing process involves water being swished around the inside of the chalice and then the priest drinks that, too. So every drop is consumed.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I know that some Protestant churches use those kinds of cups. But they do not share the Catholic belief in the actual transformation of wine into the Blood of Christ. Even a tiny drop lingering in the bottom of a little cup that is thrown away would be considered profane.

Status
Not open for further replies.