Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

What to do after being rejected from CELTA ?

Hi there.
    I recently applied for the upcoming CELTA course in August, but I got rejected after the interview. I did well in pre-task interview test, not well on the interview. This is the feedback I got from them.

Your application had a number of strengths. It is clear that you have considerable teaching experience and are very motivated to do a recognised qualification.
    However, sadly, I am not in a position to offer you a place on the course due to issues with the accuracy of your written and spoken English. The written task you completed did not meet the very high standard required to be accepted onto the course. Your text showed a number of grammatical and lexical problems. Your spoken English demonstrated a number of phonological problems and grammatical slips that prevent it from being at the CEFR C1 level. In addition, your language awareness needs further development. As a CELTA centre we have to be sure that every candidate offered a place is in a position to pass all the assessed components of the course. The evidence from last week's interview clearly indicates that you are not ready, at the moment, to undertake this very demanding qualification.
    I appreciate that you will be disappointed with this decision. However, you are more than welcome to apply again in 6 months' time. Before then you should take some concrete action to address the issues highlighted above. I would strongly suggest studying for the IELTS. We accept a minimum score of 7.5 in each of the four skills of the IELTS Academic exam.
    Good luck in the future.

What should I do next? I feel a bit lost. Would appreciate the advice.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: What to do after being rejected from CELTA ?

Have you taken IELTS before, and if so, what was your grade?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

I've never taken IELTS before. I'm going to tell you a bit about my language background. I studied in English all my life,whether in school or in the University. I am a law graduate. I chose to be a teacher. I started my teaching career as a private tutor for a while, then I joined a school two and a half years ago. The only English Language grade I ever had was in the IGCSE, in the year 2000.
    If you want me to post my pre-task interview, I would happily do that.
    Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

What did they base this comment on your writing on?

The written task you completed did not meet the very high standard required to be accepted onto the course. Your text showed a number of grammatical and lexical problems.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Quote Originally Posted by albouhi View Post
    I've never taken IELTS before. I'm going to tell you a bit about my language background. I studied in English all my life,whether (either) in school or in the university.
    You've got a few errors in this post, even though it wasn't ambitious writing. Perhaps, in your written task, you tried to write more complicated English and made more minor mistakes.
    The letter seems to be quite clear, and the advice to study for IELTS and reapply at some time in the future seems to be good advice, even if you are hoping for better from here.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    You've got a few errors in this post, even though it wasn't ambitious writing. Perhaps, in your written task, you tried to write more complicated English and made more minor mistakes.
    The letter seems to be quite clear, and the advice to study for IELTS and reapply at some time in the future seems to be good advice, even if you are hoping for better from here.
    I meant by "in English" my school studies, subjects etc... as I'm not a native speaker, rather brought up in a native speaking environment.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Ah, I see.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    What did they base this comment on your writing on?
    I got more feedback on the matter from them:

Thank you for your email. Because of the number of applications we process, we will not be able to give you very detailed feedback, but below are some areas that were noticed:
    Your spoken English did not show a wide range of grammatical structures, i.e. most of your sentences were simple.
    In the writing task, some of your sentences were too long and were inappropriately linked, i.e. you used the inappropriate conjunction.
    Your language analysis was not thorough enough as you were unable to clarify the differences in meaning between the two sentences.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

albohi, the course providers have tactfully told you that your English is not good enough yet for you to become a CELTA-qualified teacher. They have also suggested that you work towards an IELT 7.5 if you wish to get your CELTA. That seems to be fairly clear to me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

If you want an idea of what IELTS 7.5 means, you can see the descriptors used here: https://www.ielts.org/ielts-for-orga...ring-in-detail

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast