[Grammar] Can you use the simple present or simple future for participial phrases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbrian

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
Canada
I have read a lot of sentences with participial phrases which all use the simple past. I am going to write down some sentences from the website, www.k12reader.com.

present participle phrases

(1) Shivering, the couple ran out of the rain and into the house.
(2) Sweeping across the night sky, the bats hunted their prey.
(3) Quickly checking over his answers, Patrick handed in his test just before time ran out.

past participle phrases

(4) Excited about dinner, Hari ran the whole way home.
(5) Frightened by the loud fireworks, the dog hid under the couch.
(6) Injured during the soccer match, Marco had to leave the field.

In the examples above, I highlighted all the verbs in the simple past. Is it grammatically correct to use both the simple present and the simple future? If it is correct, I would like to make up four sentences.

(A) Reading his cousin's essay carefully, he can find a lot of grammar mistakes.
(B) Running down the street as quickly as possible, he will meet his friend on time.

(C) Impressed with his student's creativity, the teacher considers giving him an award.
(D) Surprised by his son's misbehavior, the father will punish him.

Could someone please explain whether my sentences (A) to (D) are grammatically correct when they are written in the simple present and the simple future? Thank you for your help.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Is it grammatically correct to use both the simple present and the simple future?
I think the following are possible.
(A) Living in a deluxe apartment, he feels happy.
(B) Fired from his job, he will have no money to pay the rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.