Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    tigerszheng is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16

    Hi, teacher! There is a question!

    Thank you for reading this message!

    I have studied English over 16 years, but I recently find that I'm poor in Egnlish communication!

    My profile is below:
    1. poor pronounce( I even can't tell the difference between 'm' and 'n'.)
    2. poor listening ( I can't write down the telephone number when someone say it in English.)
    3. good reading ( I can read and master the articles from newscientist.com, economist.com, etc..)

    Could you tell me how to improve it according my recent status?

    Eager to hear from you!

    Thanks very much!

  2. #2
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,546
    One of the professional teachers will be along after a while, but until then allow me to make a couple of suggestions. Say: "I have studied English for over 16 years, but I recently found that I'm poor in Egnlish communication." Also: "My reading skills are good, but my pronunication and listening skills are not good."

  3. #3
    tigerszheng is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16
    Thank you, RonBee!

    That is also my problem! If you told me that I had done some wrong with my sentences, I could find it! But I always make such mistakes, which I think is my weakness, in my speaking and writing! But I don't know how to solve it!

    Thanks very much!

  4. #4
    Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,159
    OK- correct this one:
    If you told me that I had done some wrong with my sentences, I could find it!

  5. #5
    tigerszheng is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    OK- correct this one:
    If you told me that I had done some wrong with my sentences, I could find it!
    Maybe it is
    If you tell me that there are something wrong with my sentences, I can find it!

  6. #6
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,546
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerszheng
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    OK- correct this one:
    If you told me that I had done some wrong with my sentences, I could find it!
    Maybe it is
    If you tell me that there are something wrong with my sentences, I can find it!
    Say: "If you tell me there is something wrong...."

    :)

  7. #7
    tigerszheng is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerszheng
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    OK- correct this one:
    If you told me that I had done some wrong with my sentences, I could find it!
    Maybe it is
    If you tell me that there are something wrong with my sentences, I can find it!
    Say: "If you tell me there is something wrong...."

    :)
    But I think I am right!
    The fixed usage of "tell" is "tell sb sth", and my sentence is to use the that clause as object!

  8. #8
    Tdol is online now Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    74,159
    Your usage of 'tell' is not the problem.

  9. #9
    RonBee's Avatar
    RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    16,546
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerszheng
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerszheng
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    OK- correct this one:
    If you told me that I had done some wrong with my sentences, I could find it!
    Maybe it is
    If you tell me that there are something wrong with my sentences, I can find it!
    Say: "If you tell me there is something wrong...."

    :)
    But I think I am right!
    The fixed usage of "tell" is "tell sb sth", and my sentence is to use the that clause as object!
    The problem is with agreement between verb and object, thus: there is something OR there are some things.

    :)

  10. #10
    tigerszheng is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    16
    Oh! I get it!

    Thanks very much!

    And are there any other suggestions to me?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •