Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
RESPECTED MEMBER,

I want to learn English as native language in this regard I have been trying from a long period but all in vain. Here tell me what should I do to learn English step by step and which dictionary i use that is easy and more effective. Many experts says you should try to read newspaper but i feel problem because i dont know the meaning of each word and that not reasonable i keep dictionary every time. Here is your help is requested.

Narkises

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello four-free! :shock:
Nice to meet you, my neighbour!

Although I'm a learner, I see lots of grammar mistakes in your post. Tarheel may come and correct you. He is perfect at it.

As a learner, I have found "Grammar in use" book helpful. I studied "grammar in use" and " vocabulary in use" many years ago. They helped me a lot. I use the offline Longman English to English dictionary for advanced learner.

Keep trying. Practice makes perfect!

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NOT A TEACHER

Hello, 1235:

Here are some suggestions:

1. Watch English-language movies and TV shows as often as possible. Find some shows that interest you. Just watch them for fun. Do not try to understand every word. If you keep hearing a particular word that you do not know, write it down. Then check a dictionary later. Some famous people claim that they learned English just by watching English-language movies all the time. That is what they have said!

2. Do read something every day in English. Find something that interests you. Do you have a hobby? Try to find some English-language magazines that cover your hobby. Find some magazines with lots of pictures that interest you. The "secret" is to find something that really, really interests you.

3. Get some bilingual books. On one page is English; on the other page is your first language.

4. Try to write a few sentences every day. For example, describe something that happened to you that day. Do you know some English-speaking people? You could ask them to check your sentences. As you know, you can post some writing in one of the forums at this website, and someone will check it for you. The forum is called "Editing and Writing Topics."

5. If you want to speak English like a native speaker, you probably will have to live in an English-speaking country for a while. If you want to speak it, you have to speak it. There is no other way.

Best wishes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Thank you so much sir. you really gave me good tips. I shall keep in my mind always

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If you find newspapers too difficult try some simpler texts. If you are interested in news, this site has easier lessons based around the news for learners:

http://www.newsinlevels.com/

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]RESPECTED MEMBER,[/STRIKE] Hello everyone.

I want to learn English [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] to a native [STRIKE]language[/STRIKE] level. [STRIKE]in this regard[/STRIKE] I have been trying [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] for a long [STRIKE]period[/STRIKE] time but all in vain. [STRIKE]Here[/STRIKE] Please tell me what [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] I should do to learn English step by step and which dictionary I should use. I need one that is easy and [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] effective. Many experts says you should try to read newspapers but I [STRIKE]feel[/STRIKE] find that problematic because I don't know the meaning of [STRIKE]each[/STRIKE] every word. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] It's not [STRIKE]reasonable[/STRIKE] practical [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] for me [STRIKE]keep[/STRIKE] to have a dictionary with me [STRIKE]every[/STRIKE] all the time. [STRIKE]Here is[/STRIKE] Your help is requested.

See my corrections above.

How have you been studying until now? Do you attend classes? Do you have private tuition? Do you practise speaking English with native speakers at all? Do you have access to English-speaking TV and films? What do you think your biggest problems are with English?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much. [STRIKE]sir[/STRIKE] You [STRIKE]really[/STRIKE] gave me really good tips. I shall keep them in [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] mind always.

Note my corrections above. Please don't refer to people on the forum as either "Sir" or "Madam". It is overly formal and you can't be certain of the sex of the other users.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
thank you so much emsr2d2 for giving me good tips

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much emsr2d2 for giving me good tips.

Note my corrections above. You must start every sentence with a capital letter and end every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Specially I want to say thank Tdol who solved me big problem telling me about site.

Status
Not open for further replies.