• Native Language:
      • Urdu
      • Home Country:
      • Pakistan
      • Current Location:
      • Pakistan

• Post Thanks / Like

Major and Masters, Minors and Bachelors

We get a masters degree after our acquiring our bachelors degree in Pakistan. When you get your bachelors degree it is called graduation, and when you get your masters degree it is called Post-graduation in Pakistan.

Like MBA is Masers in Business Administration. We receive it after we complete our BBA that is Bachelors in Business Administration in Pakistan. So MBA is a masters degree.

What about majors? Is it the same as the masters? Is it an equivalent name of masters in American English. Because that's what I have heard that Majors is an American word for Masters and it is the same thing. Is that correct?

I have also heard like, she is doing her Major in political science and doing her minors in International Relations. So what is minors then? Is it equivalent to the bachelors degree like BBA or something else? This is something that confuses me a lot.

Regards,
    Aamir the Global Citizen

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: Major and Masters, Minors and Bachelors

Master's, bachelor's, and doctorates are academic degrees. At most American colleges and universities, undergraduate students (those who have not yet received a bachelor's degree) declare a major. This is the subject they study at the most advanced level. A minor is a second subject which the students study more intensively than other subjects.

Majors and minors are not degrees. When a student graduates, they receive a bachelor's degree that specifies their major subject. They can then say they have, for example, a Bachelor of Science degree in economics.
    I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    A minor is a second subject which the students study more intensively than other subjects.
    Surely they study their minor less intensively (than their major)! Do they study even more subjects?
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Surely they study their minor less intensively (than their major)! Do they study even more subjects?
    I noticed the logical error in that statement on review but neglected to correct it. Students study their major subject (or subjects, as double majors are possible) most intensively. If they declare a minor subject, that one gets the next-highest level of study.

In American colleges and universities, undergraduates are required to study subjects beyond their majors to meet breadth requirements. Colleges are responsible for producing broadly-educated graduates, at least in theory.
    I am not a teacher.