Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

never stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly

Hello everybody.

Make sure that the all ends of the extensions, jibs or braces are securely fixed; never stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly.

Does "never stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly" mean "never step on the boom or (on) the equipment that/which is to be installed during the crane assembly" or "never place your feet on the boom or (on) the equipment that/which is to be installed during the crane assembly"?

Thank you.

The above-mentioned precautions apply to Terex type crane operation and maintenance manual.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: never stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly

If you stand on something you step onto it and remain on it for a time. That time may be quite short.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Re: never stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly

My reasoning is OK, isn't it?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

What reasoning? You offered an either/or choice of interpretations, neither of which, on its own, was completely accurate.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Could you tell me what is wrong with it?

Here is more context.

25. The lattice elements connected to the boom by means of forks can break if not properly fixed.
    Make sure that the all ends of the extensions, jibs or braces are securely fixed; never stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly.

Does it help now?

As I said at the outset, all the technical text refers to Terex type crane operation and maintenance manual.

Assuming that 'during its assembly' means during the crane's assembly, the whole sentence in question could be understood as "never step on the boom or (on) the equipment that/which is to be installed during the assembly of the crane".

Please do help me. It is very important to me.
    Last edited by JACEK1; 26-Jun-2016 at 20:55.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Jacek, I told you in my first response what'stand on' means. 'Stand on' does not mean exactly the same as 'step on', though there may be little difference in meaning in practice in some contexts..

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

It is an order: Make sure that the all ends of the extensions, jibs or braces are securely fixed; never stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly.

Never stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly = don't (you) ever stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly = don't ever stand on the boom or (on) the equipment to be installed during its assembly.

Do you confirm that 'the equipment to be installed during its assembly' means 'the equipment that/which is to be installed during the crane assembly'?

Thank you.

There are usually a lot of orders and recommendations in an crane operation and maintenance manual.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by JACEK1 View Post
    Do you confirm that 'the equipment to be installed during its assembly' means 'the equipment that/which is to be installed during the crane assembly'?

Yes.

How many times are you going to ask versions of this question?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Please, don't be angry with me. I had to ask about the infinitive structure because they sometimes look similar but mean something different. Besides, although I like English, it is always a second language to me and I may make a mistake.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia

Try:
    Do not impose/place load on the boom during assembly.
    "Never" is not a suitable word to use.
    I am not a teacher.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast